3.5" Disk Cases

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

3.5" Disk Cases

Post by RWAP »

I have been thinking about creating some sleeves for the RWAP Software line of software.

However, I can't seem to find any plastic 3.5" jewel cases anywhere - just to hold one floppy disk, so I can make an insert for the software and manual

Does anyone have any idea what I could use?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: 3.5" Disk Cases

Post by vanpeebles »

Some of my old Acorn games used to come in a double cassette style box. They were proper ones molded without the prongs.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Hmm I know what you mean, but where can you find such a thing nowadays....

Also I should imagine that the disk would rattle about in them, as a floppy disk is so much thinner than a cassette

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Sometimes they had an injection molded plastic holder for the disc, other times it was in a small thick plastic bag so it wasn't too bad.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Most of the software that I bought for my Atari ST back in the day came in one of the following:-
A cardboard box, some times with a moulded thermoplastic insert/tray,
A plastic box a bit like a box that prerecorded film/tv show VHS video tapes came in,
A CD/DVD like "jewel" case with no interior fittings (just a plain case) (but these were less common).

Some of the Superior Software titles for the Acorn range of computers also came in CD or DVD like "jewel" cases.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ideally you want something like:

http://store.ldbmart.com/3fldica500pc.html

However, although $34USD is fair value for a box of 200 (presuming they are still available) $83 postage to the UK seems a bit steep!

Would have to try and create a template then for the insert without wasting too much for every insert printed.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

1024MAK wrote:Most of the software that I bought for my Atari ST back in the day came in one of the following:-
A cardboard box, some times with a moulded thermoplastic insert/tray,
A plastic box a bit like a box that prerecorded film/tv show VHS video tapes came in,
A CD/DVD like "jewel" case with no interior fittings (just a plain case) (but these were less common).

Some of the Superior Software titles for the Acorn range of computers also came in CD or DVD like "jewel" cases.

Mark
I don't think the QL market would be anywhere big enough to get custom cardboard boxes made just to hold one disk per program - at least for the Atari ST, they were selling 1000s and many of the titles included 3 disks.....

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Rich, what's wrong with using a cheap yet light and sturdy cardboard CD case, low profile and the FD fits snugly offering some additional protection. Inserts can be added too.
2014-02-09-17.35.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Rich, what's wrong with using a cheap yet light and sturdy cardboard CD case, low profile and the FD fits snugly offering some additional protection. Inserts can be added too.
2014-02-09-17.35.png
I thought of that later - maybe just the clear cases - Dilwyn - where do you get your CD sleeves and do you have a word template I could use please...

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Rich,

have a look at something like that:
http://www.karton.eu/100-farbige-Luftpo ... 65-mm-matt

Stylish, colorful and affordable.

On the other hand, as the last Chinese USB floppy I bought was like 6€ something, you could nearly start thinking to use drives as cases.....

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO