Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Wasa
ROM Dongle

Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

Post by Wasa »

I have been posting the following:

viewtopic.php?p=57280#p57280

viewtopic.php?p=57278#p57278

viewtopic.php?t=4820

viewtopic.php?p=57167#p57167
Wasa wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:11 pm Peter. What about the following suggestion, as the basis of a Sinclair Next (QL+), and to please different people:

For those who don't not want to replace their main board:
The Qzero as the basis of a a daughter board which fits into the socket of the 68008 and at least one ULA? If the CPU can be blocked, then in one ULA?

That this work also form the basis for the new machine? Which can come in editions with minimum interfaces and maximum interfaces?

That a newer higher performance core based on forth architecture also be included as the basis of the new platform for: small business (Sir Clive's dream) and as a retro hobbyist games machine? These forth/misc cores are interesting, small and fast, and outnumber all other language based softcores for FPGA.

Small business does not need most of the power of a modern PC, they used to use Commodore 64's. A new QL could be a cheap alterative which is propped up by hobbyist sales.

I'm looking at a thread on the following alternative:

Alternatively, a Linux QL which emulates the existing operating systems and GUI's? That's a bigger project, requiring an ARM or Risc-V chip. A cheap phone chip and modified Linux for it, is all which is needed to do low end business.

As the Sinclair+/ Sinclair+ Next/ or Sinclair Next (QL+), it would emulate all machines, and be a natural successor to all machines, in compact low cost and full forms.

That would require a business to get on board, team, and a Kickstarter.

Here are a few other quotes:
Wasa wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 pm Since writing this, I have decided not to attempt to arrange this myself, due to illness. But, have been interested in a another machine, which can run an emulator, which can be based on the same compatible circuits.

Maybe the following will inspire people. We know that Clive was talking about doing a wafer scale spiritual successor to the QL with Unix or Linux. Maybe we should look at doing the same, a reboot, a QL Next, which people could be attracted to as a hobby, but also a regular machine useful as a small business machine, which fits with Clive's vision. I'm going to post a link over to the QL Replica thread I have just found, where people are already discussing what to do:

viewtopic.php?p=57167

Hi. I'm a previous QL owner, and am investigating a QL clone concept, of what Sinclair could have done back then, and am doing some basic research to see how doable it is.

It is along the lines of the present machine, but with all the extra hardware logic stripped out and replaced by serial interfaces, which today would be represented by a subset of USB peripheral support. This includes the 8049. But it occurs to me, that programs might be dependent on directly coding to the 8049 microcontroller to control the sound and interfaces, and not just using registers and calls, which can get handled by a software routine? Making it not suitable to be replaced?

If anybody is interested. I'm interested in a new slanted keyboard with slanted track pad in place of the micro drives, where a 3 inch floppy option would have gone under the track pad to the side. Even a second one in place of the expansion card port, for software, instead of a hard drive (for business configuration) moving to a dual slim line drive under the pad eventually. This would be USB ports today. A basic unit might have had a high speed micro cassette, as used in answering machines, instead, for low cost gaming. Compiled basic to machine code. API's like white lightening had for software sprites etc, which the latter compiled basic versions had, are an idea. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of these basics, but one way Blitz basic I think and one may have been by ocean. In the day, such a person could have been contacted to develop such, as the replacement basic for QL, making coding a lot easier for people who aren't Jeff Minter (nice guy, as was Clive).

Similar form factor and styling to the QL, maybe Wafer Scale QL replacement concept styling.

Better graphics (palletted 16 colour mode, with 80 column 16 colour text mode with programmable characters, maybe a simplified dma blitter (compositing the image at high speed rather than sprites) moving to 256 colour 256 and 512 resolution width modes and different resolutions.

VGA is more standard, and able to be fit on a NTSC monitor, and widescreen VGA will scale well within a FullHD screen. But derivatives resolutions going up to 1024*512 are more compatible with PAL widescreen. Today we talk about fullhd and 4k and 16 HDR bit professionally, but memory register hooks in there for all these then future derivative resolutions would be important, even if we are only looking at up to widescreen VGA to start.

A few other game friendly graphics configurations, full 16 colour programmable characters. Maybe a 68000. Better sound.

Emulated CPM and Spectrum, with code translation to 6800x machine code. (Not all games of the day would work, because of self modifying code).

Sort of alternative to the CPC, and cheap alternative to the Amiga and PC.

A TTL version as proof of concept (suitable as a kit), and as a design basis for the FPGA or CPLD's, which represent the ULA's back then. The extra circuitry for the dma transfer circuit that is used for blittering, is not much. Altogether the circuit might be less complex, except the disk drive controller.
Wasa wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:49 pm This an interesting thread, though I'm a little lost, as I can read again, but skim reading. I had also written something up to post about a modern representation of what could have been done with the QL myself, but the login authorisation too so long other things came up and I got sick. I want to look at it to see if it's worth posting. I've determined not to do it myself.

viewtopic.php?t=4820

On this thread. I may have a few suggestions. I found it googling Smallest Sinclair QL. It occurs to me that the QZero could be a basis for such a machine, with the modifications I mention in my thread. The Commodore 64 HP serial bus was ahead of it's time, a space that USB and Thunderbolt now occupy. But, such a scheme was viable on more condensed logic than the previous generation Commodore attempt, and healthy profits for the company selling the peripherals. So, a QZero plus USB, HDMI over USB SD card and basic sata (or whatever replaced it) and few other interfaces, represents a complete system in the space a pi zero W would take up. In today's terms there are a lot of open hardware out there, and graphics gpu softcores, with their own drivers. But, all that is needed for a cheap machine is the USB soft cores drivers and a few more graphics modes (and that blitter).

Another idea, that might be of help developing drivers and apps, that I had years back, was to vsee things on another platform which offers services. Android uses linux and the hardware drivers which come with that. I understand the universal driver attempts on Linux failed, but android's core exists. Linus got his start from owning a QL, and a android Linux core, would be a natural relationship.

For software, a JavaScript engine, like Firefox OS and Chrome OS did, but local installed desktop applications instead, to maintain web compatibility and offer a way to write and get cross platform applications. When JavaScript is not good enough, native code is used (there is also a way to run Linux apps through a framework on JavaScript).

Using these approaches, after the original system is implemented existing drivers and apps, hardware soft cores, USB libraries and whatever services attached to the Linux kernel under android, can be used from elsewhere.

I had also been looking for a Sinclair QL on Pi Pico emulator. I have found various 8 bit Sinclair, Jupiter, Commodore, Atari systems, and the Nes. But, the QL is not far off of an 8 bit system, and does the Pico use internal 32 bit data which would make emulation easier. A high speed method of emulating systems, is to translate the code to local machine language. Except for lack of graphics output, the Pico offers a reasonable minimal target system. I do not like the whole stick a Pico on a base board to make an emulated system, when they could be using the Pico and Pi chips themselves as the basis of the base boards.

Manufacturing and legal protection, certification, IP, warranty, distribution are very complicated before you even do the business. There must be a better way to get this all done, to take it off of our hands.

XorA
Site Admin

Re: Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

Post by XorA »

It already exists, stop spamming!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Is it time for a Sinclair Next (QL+) machine and QL Linux? To honor Sir Clive's wishes?

Post by Derek_Stewart »

QL Next = Q68

Regards,

Derek
Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

XorA wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 pm It already exists, stop spamming!
It's not spam. I'm getting nothing out of it.

The Q68 is a part alive solution which I am supporting by advocating basing it on the QZero version, which I have suggested to the Q68 owner. Spam is selling something. This is about getting the community together to produce something more than the Q68. You notice, there are threads from a number of people here on this sort of things, they are not spamming (well, Peter and the other hardware manufacturers technically are, but I'm not against that).

So, where is the Qzero mounted on top of QL main board. Peter says the Q68 can't even fit in the case. Where is the new case and package? Where is the finished product?

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

So, where is the Qzero mounted on top of QL main board. Peter says the Q68 can't even fit in the case. Where is the new case and package? Where is the finished product?
Waiting for you to design it!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Q68 is a standalone QL compatible single board computer, as is the Qzreo.

I produce the Q68, from Peter's design files.

The Qzero is also a standalone single board computer, that can be fitted into the QL Case and use the QL Keyboard with the QL Base board. There is no contact with the QL board.

The QIMSI works with the QL Board and plugs int the QL ROM Port, adding Hard Disk storage, PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard, fast Serial port, SSS sound.

The forthcoming QIMISI Gold has all the QIMSI functionality and extended screen modes, accelerated graphics and CPU, and more features than I can mention.

Regards,

Derek
Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

XorA wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:40 pm
Waiting for you to design it!
Is suggesting it spam? You might try reading it before disrespectfully putting the boot in. I've put in up to 20 hours on this already, to respect and love other people. Talent is lengthy.

Things are still up in the air. Thor and Q series are the last machines. Peter has only indicated he might show something. Nobody has done a new style actual case design. The keyring one, and the QL+ one from decades ago are the only ones. But what I suggested will be more practical, and look pretty good. I'm also talking about different things for different people. Dome people want to keep their QL with original main board, using a daughter card, like has been done, with a QZero tailored to run that way, gives them a lot of extra without any external differences (though I suspect that Peter will go for the expansion or card slot. A compact keyboard version like the QLis what some want, and some want an external PC like experience, which the Q68 offers, with all sorts of interfaces, like hard disks. But, it's possible to configure the QZero into all these products, most of the work in already in it. So, I think people would love to have the choice. Now me, I think Sir Clive would have loved to see it, abs used in business, which he wanted. It's useless competing against windows until you have numbers, but dien the bottom of the market, there is still possibility to be the alternative. Now, in honor of Clive, maybe it's time for a universal Sinclair machine, which this could be. Because if anybody complains about this, giving up means buying a Spectrum Next, where a Sinclair+ is everybody's machine (and based on the ultimate Sinclair. Wouldn't you agree, that is a possibly better world?

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm Hi,

The Qzero is also a standalone single board computer, that can be fitted into the QL Case and use the QL Keyboard with the QL Base board. There is no contact with the QL board.

The QIMSI works with the QL Board and plugs int the QL ROM Port, adding Hard Disk storage, PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard, fast Serial port, SSS sound.

The forthcoming QIMISI Gold has all the QIMSI functionality and extended screen modes, accelerated graphics and CPU, and more features than I can mention.
I thought I read Peter tell somebody the QZero Qbase board would not fit in the case? Good news. Not many will want something that works through the board authentically (this happens)? The rom cart sticks out the back. I personally would rather a daughter card or a new keyboard machine. But, what is the marketing plan, and does it emulates all the other Sinclair's (including the Spectrum Next)? How many are going to be sold to new people, to make a customer base to keep it going? I know what this is, it's the last users, the end of the line. That is how it works, unless you reboot. There are going to be a lot more new young hobbyists seeking out Spectrums and Commodores in future, rather than QL's. The Spectrum got a reboot, which is going to keep it going. The QL can get a nicer reboot with better features for more serious use (better games and productivity apps). The last thing I heard read about the Q68, is they were going do a case on the summer break, I think. I personally think it's wonderful, but Mister is out there too and the next is working on QL support. Maybe it will be similar or old, but will split the market and has to be completed against. Because, new people will just use the best machine supported on it, and that's likely to be an upgraded Next 2 (I understand they are upgrading the graphics, or was that the X16)? Anyway, there is a lot of stuff that can be done on the 2D graphics design there. The point is, if a new hobbyist comes to check out the QL and buys the Next, they could be lost to the Spectrum. These communities shrink without progress. Please. The QL was one of my favourite machines.

Wasa
ROM Dongle

Post by Wasa »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm Hi,

Derick, where can I buy a Q68 (or other). Believe it or not, the wiki Q68 page doesn't have a link, and Peter and your profiles do not have links either. I think I once found it through google.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Qbase and Qzero fit into the QL without the QL circuit inside.

I do not understand what you are going on about, the Qzero is a standalone computer in its own right. It will not work connected to the QL.

The Q68 is built and sold by me and I am in the process of organising another batch of Q68.

Where is this Q68 wiki page you mention, I know nothing about it and I have never been asked about any information input.

Regards,

Derek