Noisy MDV

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
t0nyt
Gold Card

Re: Noisy MDV

Post by t0nyt »

Pr0f wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am I had a noisy microdrive and resolved it using some 'slug slime' - a fine modelers lubricant - just a drop on the top and bottom of the motor, and run it for a while - it should quieten down.
Worth a try I guess. But as I'll have to extract the motor, I think, to get the oil in then I'll probably replace the motor anyway and try oil at a later time

Many thanks

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:03 am
Pr0f wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:18 am I had a noisy microdrive and resolved it using some 'slug slime' - a fine modelers lubricant - just a drop on the top and bottom of the motor, and run it for a while - it should quieten down.
Was the problem a noisy motor? and the lubricant lubricated the motor drive shaft?
Yes - bearing probably - but as I had pulled the unit from the QL I was able to test the motor with a bench supply. One drop on the top of the motor shaft made it quite a bit quieter - but I decided to take the motor apart and get a look at the bottom too - not for the feint hearted ;-)

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

I've confirmed I have a non-working (only reads) MDV, so will try to use the motor from that to quite down the noisy MDV

Many thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

t0nyt wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:32 pm I've confirmed I have a non-working (only reads) MDV, so will try to use the motor from that to quite down the noisy MDV

Many thanks
Have swapped the motors and now MDV2 is whisper quite to match MDV1, so definitely the motor

Am just glad I didn't break anything else making the change (MDV2 will still read/write/format) :D

The other QL is now without an MDV2 but Derek is helping me out on that front (and I have another vMap on the way from NZ, and a JS ROM/TK2 & QuintupLer on the way from Chr$ for it)

Many thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

I decided to try WD40 on the shaft of the motor I swapped out and it’s much quieter now thanks

Next time I have a noisy MDV drive I’ll try oiling it in place (will release the motor from the frame and remove the rollers while doing it though)

Many thanks for the tip

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Beware!!

WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a cleaner and water dispersant -- that's what the "WD" stands for. It may lubricate for a wee while, but it will also remove any existing lube too. Apparently, many cyclists have been using WD40 on their bike chains with nasty results. Lots of useful information about why you shouldn't use WD40 mas a lube at https://clevercreations.org/can-wd-40-b ... lubricant/.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

NormanDunbar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:57 pm Beware!!

WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a cleaner and water dispersant -- that's what the "WD" stands for. It may lubricate for a wee while, but it will also remove any existing lube too. Apparently, many cyclists have been using WD40 on their bike chains with nasty results. Lots of useful information about why you shouldn't use WD40 mas a lube at https://clevercreations.org/can-wd-40-b ... lubricant/.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.
Ok, thanks

If I need to use the motor I’ll try to re-lubricate first (and won’t use WD40 on any others)

Many thanks

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

It's fine for cleaning, but I'd probably use switch cleaner instead! Switch cleaner evaporates quicker than WD40 and can be lubricated quite quickly afterwards. A tiny drop of sewing machine or watch lubricant would probably be best.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

NormanDunbar wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:21 pm It's fine for cleaning, but I'd probably use switch cleaner instead! Switch cleaner evaporates quicker than WD40 and can be lubricated quite quickly afterwards. A tiny drop of sewing machine or watch lubricant would probably be best.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Norm.
Thanks

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

This is the stuff I use - excellent lubricant for small engineering projects, motors, etc, where you just need a small amount.

https://hobbylubricants.com/slug-slime/