Switching Regulator?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: Switching Regulator?

Post by 1024MAK »

The pin details of a 7805 are well documented. See this site for example ;-)

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:16 pm The pin details of a 7805 are well documented. See this site for example ;-)

Mark
Cheers!

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Chr$ wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:11 pm I think the left pin when you look at the QL from the front is the input, but am not 100% without checking. Just check it with a multimeter, the output pin will be 5v.
Will do, thanks

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

My Traco TSR 2-2450 has arrived

However the legs are considerably thinner (& shorter) than the existing regulator so obviously won't just plug in to the socket

Could I ask what methods people have used to fit the Switching Regulator please?

Many thanks

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi

Attached a photo how I did, but you don't have to do the same. The pins are thinner so I decided to use the legs from old restores bent in an angle.
If you don't get good contact then you can always solder them directly to the wires or PCB depending how brave you are.It can be standing and not mounted the way I did.

/Chris
Attachments
IMG_7042.jpg

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Thanks

Don’t want to remove the socket or solder to wires/board so will give that a go thanks

I’m not going to sacrifice the existing regulator as it’s the only one I’ve got that actually works with original PSU (but not with vRetro converter if Trump card installed)

If I can’t find anything else I’ll sacrifice my spare 1.5a regulator which doesn’t seem to work correctly in the QL even with the original PSU

Many thanks

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

t0nyt wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 am Thanks

Don’t want to remove the socket or solder to wires/board so will give that a go thanks

I’m not going to sacrifice the existing regulator as it’s the only one I’ve got that actually works with original PSU (but not with vRetro converter if Trump card installed)

If I can’t find anything else I’ll sacrifice my spare 1.5a regulator which doesn’t seem to work correctly in the QL even with the original PSU

Many thanks
Dont sacrifice 7805 to get the pins it that's what you meant. Don't you have any resistors or diodes where you can cut 10mm? Could also try a PCB header, not sure the pins are long enough though.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Resistor legs seemed too thin, so I ended up sacrificing the spare 7805

Will test it later to see if it solves anything though

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

t0nyt wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:14 am Resistor legs seemed too thin, so I ended up sacrificing the spare 7805

Will test it later to see if it solves anything though
QL seems to be working fine with the new regulator and original PSU

(The spare regulator I sacrificed was almost certainly faulty as it was playing up when I tried to use it)

Many thanks for all the advise

Chris_68
Brittle Membrane

Post by Chris_68 »

Hi,

Glad it works!

/Chris