White screen problem

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
ScouserLFC
ROM Dongle

White screen problem

Post by ScouserLFC »

Good afternoon,

After 15 years of sitting in a cupboard, I finally have some time to get back into my QL. Unfortunately I have a problem. When I boot up my QL it boots correctly and I am able to use it as normal, but as soon as I plug in my Trump card it appears to do the memory check but immediately goes to a full white screen. When I put it all away years ago, the Trump Card was working.

Can anyone advise me on what may be causing this and is it possible to fix, or is the Trump Card beyond help. I would appreciate any advice on this as I have quite a bit of software on Floppy which I can no longer access.

I know there are people on here with a lot more technical knowledge than I have and would be grateful for any clues/advice that you could give.

Derek

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: White screen problem

Post by Pr0f »

Probably one or more of the memory chips on the board is not making good contact with the socket - you could carefully take each one out and reseat them in the socket - if the pins look a little tarnished - give them a gentle rub with some contact clearner before reseating them in the sockets.

Hopefully that's all it will be....

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Pr0f wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:58 pm Probably one or more of the memory chips on the board is not making good contact with the socket - you could carefully take each one out and reseat them in the socket - if the pins look a little tarnished - give them a gentle rub with some contact clearner before reseating them in the sockets.

Hopefully that's all it will be....
I had exactly this with a trump I got on ebay, easilly fixed just by pushing all chips until they clicked!

ScouserLFC
ROM Dongle

Post by ScouserLFC »

Thank you for the info and the swift responses, much appreciated. I will give this a try in the next few days.

Derek