New microdrive internal replacement

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: New microdrive internal replacement

Post by Peter »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:42 am The way I can see that an "improvement" on the overall concept could be done would be that in the Microdrive slots put a USB socket and have a USB memory device plug in. The internal board would use the Microdrive LED to show access. That could possibly be more aesthetically pleasing.
I have a similar taste, but prefer a fullzize SD card over a USB port. That feels closer to a cartridge than a USB stick plugged in.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe we already have the solution, could QL-SD which has a SD Card reader, be used for the storage and MDI by Martin Head to access the MDV image files.

This is the system I use in the Q68, I put all the MDV images onto a FAT partition and use the FAT device, that has been renamed to MDV to us the MDI MOUNT_MDI command to MDV drive slot.

OK, the QL does not have a FAT device and can not access FAT16 partitions, but we have tools to add files to QUBide or QWA container files.

This is not a valid hardware solution, but is a sort of work around, with existing available devices.

Regards,

Derek
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Peter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:46 am
stephen_usher wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:42 am The way I can see that an "improvement" on the overall concept could be done would be that in the Microdrive slots put a USB socket and have a USB memory device plug in. The internal board would use the Microdrive LED to show access. That could possibly be more aesthetically pleasing.
I have a similar taste, but prefer a fullzize SD card over a USB port. That feels closer to a cartridge than a USB stick plugged in.
Of course, that depends upon the USB drive you use.

The ones I've been using look almost like mini Microdrive carts and even have a plastic cover to go over the USB port when not in use e.g.:

IMG_2405.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 85359 times

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I really don't want to spoil all of your game, but:

I find microdrives (and mdv replacements) alright to implement in unexpanded QLs and play around with them. (I even find the "real" thing quirky enough to fiddle with in 2023 and can understand why people are fascinated by them, even if working cartridges are hard to find and even working ones become more and more unreliable). I understand that retrocomputing is for a large part linving with and handling limitations, but, for my taste, they are just too much of a limitation (and have been from day one of the QL).

But, admit it: The 100k an mdv (or image) can store is simply not enough to work with an expanded QL and exploit it to its limits- the need to work with 5-6 cartridges to "fill" an expanded QL with 640k or even 896k (not to think of GC and SGC memory sizes) is simply not adequate and hampers the machine a lot. Important stuff like C68 or the extended environment is simply too big for microdrive capacity. Fiddling with swapping images or struggling to find a combination of tools that reliably fits on a single image (or combination of images) is not my thing, considering that with similar financial and free-time investment you can have a much simpler and way more versatile setup with QIMSI or QL-SD.

Just my 0.02€.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by xelalex »

Caveat emptor: All I'm writing here is totally and utterly opinionated.
Peter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:03 am Yes, a small, direct internal microdrive replacement, medium inserted through the QL slot. That would be cool.
I have no idea why this most natural approach has never been taken yet, by any microdrive emulator.
People create projects based on their very own requirements and taste. If they are close to yours, you're lucky. If not, then often projects have an open design and can serve as a starting point for creating something that better fits your requirements and taste.

If we have to talk about "most natural", the only natural thing in a Microdrive slot would be a Microdrive cartridge :-) The QL case is a great example of beautifully done industrial design. An approach that does not require to have anything sticking out of the Microdrive slots and keeps everything unaltered in appearance, IMHO would provide the most aesthetically pleasing effect you can achieve.

But we all set our dials differently.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:47 am
Peter wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:46 am
Of course, that depends upon the USB drive you use.

The ones I've been using look almost like mini Microdrive carts and even have a plastic cover to go over the USB port when not in use e.g.:

IMG_2405.jpeg
In terms of appearance, that looks great. half the size of a microdrive cartridge. what would you call it, a nano-drive cartridge or something?
Personally, like tofro, I don't see the attraction of microdrives and prefer SD or uSD solutions like QL-SD or QIMSI.
Don't see any issue with people wanting to tinker with such devices, that's part of what QL tinkering is about. Would be nice to be able to select and control the microdrive files from the QL itself. No doubt that'll come with time. At least it's great to see all the development work going on.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Maybe we should start a new thread about the pros and cons of different media for the QL rather than littering this one?

It's an interesting discussion and useful for people to air their views.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:51 pm Maybe we should start a new thread about the pros and cons of different media for the QL rather than littering this one?

It's an interesting discussion and useful for people to air their views.
Please, yes.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Thank you for your feedback
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm In terms of appearance, that looks great. half the size of a microdrive cartridge.
Actually, as shown in the video... it almost fit the original case of the cartridge. WiP to do it possible.
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm what would you call it, a nano-drive cartridge or something?
This credit belongs to Dr. Gusman. I call it as it is printed in the PCBs that he designed and I keep in my versions. His child, his name. :)
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm Personally, like tofro, I don't see the attraction of microdrives and prefer SD or uSD solutions like QL-SD or QIMSI.
Don't see any issue with people wanting to tinker with such devices, that's part of what QL tinkering is about.
Yep, that is the natural shoot to modern storage solutions. All of them have a nice flavor and taste. Everyone can decide what suits better.
That is what most part of people that already request a set of this solution, have told me, also about the very low cost.
dilwyn wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm Would be nice to be able to select and control the microdrive files from the QL itself. No doubt that'll come with time. At least it's great to see all the development work going on.
About that :) WiP.
Now what the priority is to improve this good hardware solution, mainly the shape of boards more than software characteristics in order to make able to ANYONE to build his own boards at very very low cost. But, as you said, that is a nice feature and option. I am awaiting for Dr. Gusman get back, but also doing my part to get deeper involved in his project.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

:)

Short answer:
Who cares?

Long answer:
This thread should be to keep into the main goal of it. None of you are newbies. All of you are very well formed, so I know that all those questions actually are trying to spoil this nice work. It already is spreading among community and the feedback till now has been very welcome.

So as user, I'm thankful to Dr. Gusman for his solution. Nothing worthy to mention about other solutions, but about Oqtadrive like cartridge replacement that is a very nice one.
As engineer... thank you Dr. Gusman to allow to the community to be able to modify it, distribute it and make it grow up, allowing also to developers to study the code and the way to star our own personal developments in this area.

The only 2 constructive idea that I have read... was about to add a speaker, (what already was answered) and about WiFi connection (WiP for 2024), perhaps it was not commented here.

Do I go to QIMSI thread to spoil it with garbage? Or QL_SD? etc...
But all of you, what are you doing?... are you trying to destroy this solution for any personal or commercial reason? Trolling?
Please... enjoy your own developments that already are super great, and let's enjoy this simply and beautiful baby be enjoyed by the rest of the community.

Maybe I misunderstood all of you. I don't think so. Really sad such behavior. At any case... this baby was born and is growing up.

:) time will answer :)

About mass storage... WiP.
About sound card and other ideas... WiP.

And of course... all of them under 13€ material costs & opensource. Perhaps not for this year, but...
Engineering for everyone.
It's coming.