FPGA replacment for the ZX8301 ULA and more

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
lliont
Trump Card

Re: FPGA replacment for the ZX8301 ULA and more

Post by lliont »

Thank you

a bit faster now

bench3.jpg

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hi lliont, great!

This is close to a GoldCard (2 MB, 16 MHz processor) and also has the additions of the improved ULA, VGA output, MC68H001 at 15Mhz and QL-SD. :o

By the way, could your "ZX8301 ULA and more" run SMSQ/E?

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

No although it has a big 512K flash on it that can be used to switch between different OS it needs a smsq version for a standard QL and not a hardware specific version, this is not available. So the flash is used to switch between Minerva and Qdos and also contains the QLSD compatible driver and TK2 and can be easily reprogrammed as it is not soldered.

By the way It also has 2 extra sound channels, 60 hardware sprites in 16 colors, 16 color mode with 64 color palette, hardware scrolling (but of the whole screen), a fast 24bit counter and maybe a mouse, if I don't forget something.

But it has some disadvantages that keep me from making it available.

It won't work with other expansion cards. It will work with virtual micro drives but most likely not with anything that plugs in the expansion port and uses the bus.
It is not easy to install in the poor quality QL sockets. In my QL I replaced the sockets with good ones because I need to install and remove the boards many many many times for tests.
The time it takes to build one board and the cost of the components will make it an expensive board (more than 100€) and that gives me bigger responsibility.

So for now I'm the only satisfied user of the (I must find a name) board.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

lliont wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:28 pm But it has some disadvantages that keep me from making it available.

It won't work with other expansion cards. It will work with virtual micro drives but most likely not with anything that plugs in the expansion port and uses the bus.
It is not easy to install in the poor quality QL sockets. In my QL I replaced the sockets with good ones because I need to install and remove the boards many many many times for tests.
The time it takes to build one board and the cost of the components will make it an expensive board (more than 100€) and that gives me bigger responsibility.
OK, I understand the disadvantages.

One question. Having reached this point (and from my lack of knowledge), what is missing for your project to become a new alternative autonomous motherboard? (It already has video, memory, processor, OS in ROM, storage media, mouse, ...) Is that feasible?

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

It is I can emulate in the fpga the rest, but that already exists, I don't want to go that way.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

At some point I think I'll find some brave men with some experience to beta test it.
I have some friends with QL.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

You have done a great job. It would be a shame if those hardware sprites with 16 colors and the possibility of programming them from SuperBasic (as seen in some of your videos) do not reach users. Hardware sprites are interesting features present on other platforms that the QL does not have and are highly desired.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Yes, I like sprites you can make games using C or even basic, my first computer the TI-99/4 had sprites.
With the speed of the board and the 60 sprites they will be good games.
The galaxians clone game in my demo video written in C was a little slow but now with the new cpu it runs very fast.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

PS/2 mouse ready!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Awesome, Leon!

Now, just when can we get our hands on one (or more)? :-)

(No pressure intended...)

BTW - should a firmware come about in the future, what sort of ICP programmer can one use to reprogram your ULA replacements in the field?

I have a Lattice USB programmer that does the FPGA on the Q68 and the QL-SD as well as a 'Byte Blaster' (for Altera CPLDs) and a simple USB ISP programmer. Any of these fit for purpose?