Ql Clone build

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
andy_edin
ROM Dongle

Re: Ql Clone build

Post by andy_edin »

The duff RAM chip would also explain the test results. The Minerva ROM would have likely found 64K of usable RAM so would be able to proceed with this. JS ROM may need the full 128K to proceed, so tripped out to a white screen.

badaman
Over Heated PSU

Re: Ql Clone build

Post by badaman »

Peter wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:46 pm so here were go. QLbase is a little QL Mainboard replacement...
This design is very inspiring, and can be the basis not only of replacing an original QL board, but also of a prototype.

I've seen some threads talking about recreating a QL from Rick Dickinson's original designs. This is my small contribution with some ideas.

I have prepared a small design that I attach. Starting from the QLbase motherboard, you can 3D print a new design of the upper part of the computer on which to mount the keyboard, and design some type of support underneath that leaves space so that, at the bottom, you can place the motherboard and expansion board, as seen in the design, and thus be able to put it on the table. 3D printing would be much simplified.

Personally, I don't usually connect more than one expansion card to the QL, but there are audience for backplanes, so I have included two expansion ports, taking advantage of the space. Note. The expansion ports would be rotated 180 degrees so the boards could connect. The expansions would be placed face down. We would also need to see some type of anchor for the cards.

The design is somewhat daring, as it leaves the lower part without a cover or casing, only with the supports to place it on the table, since what will be seen, above all, is the upper part, the keyboard and access to the SD . Of course, if desired, a bottom lid could also be designed.
Attachments
ql-prototype.png