Where can I find or buy code of MENU_rext

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
P2P
ROM Dongle

Where can I find or buy code of MENU_rext

Post by P2P »

Dear reader,
I am an old user of the Sinclair QL, but a newbe on the Sinclair QL Forum.
I tried to install the code of SuQcess (database) on the Qemulator (emulator on Windows) but in the zip file there was no code for MENU_rext
which is essential for using Suqcess.
Can I buy or download the file for NEXT_rext somerwhere?
I cannot find it on the internet, some say it is still commercial (they talked about JMS), but where can I find it.
Perhaps you can help me to find it?

Greetings from Paul Pel.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Where can I find or buy code of MENU_rext

Post by mk79 »

P2P
ROM Dongle

Post by P2P »

Thank you for the link. This code of menu_rext Qmenu works for the Suqcess database on QPC2 but not on the Qemulator with the JS rom, I dont know why not, but thank you for the link.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

P2P wrote:Thank you for the link. This code of menu_rext Qmenu works for the Suqcess database on QPC2 but not on the Qemulator with the JS rom, I dont know why not, but thank you for the link.
On QEmulator I had some issues using QDesign v4.02 with qmenu 8.05 - sudden freeze when changing some settings in menus. It worked with qmenu v7.66, but not with any newer version.
Here are some older versions of qmenu
Attachments
qmenu804.zip
(38.43 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
menu766.zip
(36.71 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
menu_800.zip
(38.66 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
menu_768.zip
(18.73 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Thank you for the link. This code of menu_rext Qmenu works for the Suqcess database on QPC2 but not on the Qemulator with the JS rom, I dont know why not, but thank you for the link.
What does "does not work" mean here?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

mk79 wrote:
Recent versions of MENU_REXT, work, but gives WIndow Manager too old error message.

So I had to use QPAC2 v1.39 and MENU_REXT v7.66, QD98 before anythin would run in the Extended Environment on a non-High Colour QL.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
mk79 wrote:
Recent versions of MENU_REXT, work, but gives WIndow Manager too old error message.

So I had to use QPAC2 v1.39 and MENU_REXT v7.66, QD98 before anythin would run in the Extended Environment on a non-High Colour QL.
Then why not just use a WMAN that is new enough?

P2P
ROM Dongle

Post by P2P »

With respect to using the menu_rext code on the Qemulator, then I get the error message 'bad parameter' (no matter what version of menu_rext)
when I use te code: LRESPR win1_menu_rext (with TK2 installed and TK2_EXT activated).
This code is essential for using the program Suqcess (a database program).
When I use the same code on the QPC2 emulator (even with the same QXL.win file as a harddrive) there is no problem, everyting works fine.
I can't explain why there is a difference between the emulators Qemulator and QPC2 with regard of using the code for menu_rext.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
mk79 wrote:What does "does not work" mean here?

Then why not just use a WMAN that is new enough?
My website has more recent versions of the pointer environment on the page at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html
If something says it needs Window Manager 2, in general you will need pointer environment version 2 - try the ones which say v2.01 or later from my website.

I haven't tried the recent menu_rext files against individual versions of the pointer environment to be sure of which combinations will work on a QL, you may need to try more than one version, starting with the highest version.

In case you are new to the pointer environment (you said you are an old user, so maybe this explanation is unnecessary)...

Pointer Environment (sometimes, just "PE" or Extended Environment) is the term used to refer to the system installed by PTR_GEN which provides an on-screen pointer arrow and saves and restores windows as you switch between programs. There are a few programs such as the older The Painter which will work with only PTR_GEN installed, without really needing WMAN and HOT_REXT.

The "Extended Enviornment" is the combination of the base files called ptr_gen (pointer interface - provides the on-screen pointer, saves and restores windows, etc) and wman (Window Manager, the look and feel of the windows on the screen, provides a system to allow software which understand it to have a similar and related appearance, e.g. the QPAC2 menus), and sometimes hot_rext (the hotkey system).
Window Manager 2 took the WMAN Window Manager to a new level with colour themes for high colour systems etc. Using it, I have a "colour theme" installed which gives my programs which understand Wman2 a consistent "grey" colour across all programs and menus. It is only fairly recent pointer driven programs which understand this, not older programs such as the Psion packages.
Admiteddly, some users do use the terms Pointer Environment and Extended Environment interchangeably. The QPAC2 manual tries to explain the differences.

Window Manager 2 first came about as part of the SMSQ/E system. It didn't originally work on a BBQL (Black Box QL) as that didn't support high colours even if it was a system you could run SMSQ/E on. So, some clever person (naming no names) created a version for BBQL systems, which gave a good degree of compatibility with newer programs which needed WMAN 2, but with only the base QL colours.

There are documents out there such as Norman Dunbar's "PE Idiot's Guide" (he says in it he was the idiot when he wrote it, not the reader!) and various documents on individual aspect of the PE which are actually very helpful on all things "PE" (pun not intended, for those who understand "Things"!). It can be quite a chore to master individual elements and the terminology concerned, but making the effort with the terminology is worth it for when you have to try to get help on something - correct terminology makes it easier for the "experts" to understand the nature of the problem to try to give correct advice. We were all beginners once, and despite having used QLs since 1984, I still learn something new about them most weeks!

Have a look at some of the documents here http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/ptr/index.html and here http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/smsqegd2/index.html. Some of them are heavy going, but ultimately worth the effort.

desin
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by desin »

try this one
QPAC1440.zip
(744 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Greetings from Switzerland
Markus