QXL SMSQ/E Version

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QXL SMSQ/E Version

Post by tofro »

BSJR wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:27 am
Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:48 pm Hi,
I have solved the problem with the QXL2 not being able to run some versions of SMSQ/E.
Its seems that the QXL Ram on the board was using different speeds of ram in bank 2 of the QXL.
The RAM issue is unlikely to be the cause for my problems with SMSQ/E v3.34+ so far.
The QXL2 was never tempered with since new in '96, only moved from an old machine to a less old machine.

But I am happy to report that v3.38 gives none of the previous startup problems, both in mode 4 and mode 32.
One small issue remains, while my old machine gave me 1024x768x4, the less old only manages 800x600 depite a bigger graphics card. Yes, it is configured right.

BSJR
The resolution problem might be caused by a "less optimal" VESA BIOS on the "better" graphics card. You might want to try loading UNIVBE (The "Universal VESA BIOS Extension" before running SMSQ/E. That helped on a PC of mine.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QXL SMSQ/E Version

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

So far the QXL has bern running for over 6 days with the Extended Environment, QD, ProWeS... runing 800x600.

I have tried 1024x768, but this fails, ptobably down to the video memory on the video card, the video card is on the PC motherboard, which is 3D AGP 8Mb ram.

What sort of video card do I need to fit into the PC to get 1024x768 from the QXL?

Regards,

Derek