CPLD replacement for ZX8301

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
lliont
Trump Card

Re: CPLD replacement for ZX8301

Post by lliont »

I published the pcb and EPM160S files at the hackaday.io site, https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/357657

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

lliont wrote:I published the pcb and EPM160S files at the hackaday.io site, https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/357657
Thanks I have downloaded all the files, I will see about making some PCBs...

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

lliont wrote:I published the pcb and EPM160S files at the hackaday.io site, https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/357657
Although I have no personal need for a ZX8301 replacement, my greatest respect and appreciation for this excellent work!
Also for your QUBIDE clone, a very thoughtful and nice design as well.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Thank you Peter

Here a new pcb with the EPM7160STC100-10 that is smd and fits also in QL's with socketed rams.
It was difficult to solder it now that I'm older and can't see very well but finally I did it.
It gets hot, hotter than the PLCC84 cpld, I'll put a small flat heat-sink on it even I don't think it is necessary, now there is enough space.
QL_smd_ula.jpg

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Here
SMD_ULA.jpg

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

kudos to the soldering skills for that beast - was that done using a lot of flux and dragging a blob technique, as no one has an iron that small :-)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Pr0f wrote:kudos to the soldering skills for that beast - was that done using a lot of flux and dragging a blob technique, as no one has an iron that small :-)
I have a soldering iron this small but still prefer the drag technique ;) Nice job anyway, I just wonder if it's normal that it would get this hot.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Don't know but it is a 5 volt small device with almost all its macro-cells used, clocked at 10 and 15Mhz (clocks derived from a 30Mhz active oscillator) and continually drives a lot of QL lines, maybe it is normal. It runs for hours with no problem so far with that small heatsink. You can touch the heatsink only for a couple of seconds.
Powered from an external ps when I was programing it not connected to the QL the whole circuit drew about 200ma. Do you think there is something wrong with the ic;

from datasheet:
Supply power (P) versus frequency (fMAX in MHz) for MAX 7000 devices is calculated with the following equation: P = P INT + PIO = ICCINT × VCC + P IO
The P IO value, which depends on the device output load characteristics and switching frequency, can be calculated using the guidelines given in
Application Note 74 (Evaluating Power for Altera Devices).

Yes I used something like the dragging a blob technique with lot of flux

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

The turbo bit option was in auto by default, I change it to off and the temperature dropped without affecting the operation!
Now it gets just warm but not hot.
This is cool!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thank you Leon!

For the first time in QL history, we have a viable replacement for one of her core ULAs!

Truly, a magnificent accomplishment!