QL-SD driver 1.10

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL-SD driver 1.10

Post by mk79 »

prime wrote:Humm perhaps I'm doing something wrong but when I point one of the win devices at my QL_BDI.BIN and start QPC2, accessing the device seems not to produce meaningfull results.
For example doing dir win3_ produces what looks like a superbasic listing, I guess it's reading the sectors where it expects there to be a directory, but there is basic?
Make sure you have the latest SMSQ/E v3.38, I think there was a bug in older ones.

Marcel

prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Peter wrote:Could it be that you have no proper Qubide image, but something byteswapped by an IDE conversion device? That's the usual mistake people make. 68K Is big-endian, Intel not.
That's possible, but the sbasic produced by the dir didn't look byteswapped e.g. it had "PRINT" not "RPNI T" for examle.

However I was able to mount the images in QxlwinReader and copy the files between them.

Cheers.

Phill.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

prime wrote:
Peter wrote:Could it be that you have no proper Qubide image, but something byteswapped by an IDE conversion device? That's the usual mistake people make. 68K Is big-endian, Intel not.
That's possible, but the sbasic produced by the dir didn't look byteswapped e.g. it had "PRINT" not "RPNI T" for examle.
Yeah, SD images are never byte-swapped and even if they were, QPC can handle that transparently.

I think it's only SMSQ/E v3.36 and v3.37 that had a broken driver which for a long time nobody noticed because nobody uses the format with SMSQ/E ;) If it still happens with 3.38 I'd like to know about it, though.

Marcel

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI Marcel,

I loaded 2 QUBide image file that were used on a QL-SD v1 on QPC v5.0.2 with SMSQ/E v3.38 which worked really well.

Excellent work to get this working.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Hi Derek, thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that it works for you. Cheers, Marcel

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

mk79 wrote:Yeah, SD images are never byte-swapped and even if they were, QPC can handle that transparently.
SD images can also are byteswapped sometimes, e.g. if SD-IDE converters are used with native hardware. Which is not unlikely for some Qubide or even Q40/Q60 setups.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

prime wrote:However I was able to mount the images in QxlwinReader and copy the files between them.
Nice that QxlwinReader worked for you Phill. You will also find it a very useful tool in general if you work with native filesystems. Wolfgang has done a great job there.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Peter wrote:SD images can also are byteswapped sometimes, e.g. if SD-IDE converters are used with native hardware. Which is not unlikely for some Qubide or even Q40/Q60 setups.
Ah ok. Unlikely setup on a PC, but I understand. Well, even better that QPC can do both ;-)

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Almost nobody understands the implications of endianess with the IDE bus. Several guys even insisted that their byteswapped Qubide images were correct, after three attempts to explain. It is hopeless.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

mk79 wrote:
Peter wrote:SD images can also are byteswapped sometimes, e.g. if SD-IDE converters are used with native hardware. Which is not unlikely for some Qubide or even Q40/Q60 setups.
Ah ok. Unlikely setup on a PC, but I understand. Well, even better that QPC can do both ;-)
... as well as sQLux, Q68

Regards,

Derek