Ethernet for the QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Ethernet for the QL

Post by Peter »

ppe wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:48 pm Currently has a DNS resolver, DHCP client, and TFTP client. And socket-level C code that can be linked in to other SW. Driver for SuperBasic needs a bit of an overhaul but there are persistent rumours of it being a joint effort and not just me any more. Tim and Dilwyn's SuperBasic IRC client works already. And just for lulz I wrote a very limited SuperBasic FTP client. Full support for IPBasic extensions are a distant goal.
Sounds good. Is all this work deeply dependent on the WIZnet module?

As much as I understand your initial choice of hardware, it appears to me that splitting development forces between WIZnet and CP2200 is not ideal in our small community. So I wonder, is your personal fun and motivation much connected to the WIZnet approach, or is it mainly to get yourself an ethernet solution for the QL at all?

If it is the latter, it came to my mind that maybe I could design a CP2200 module for you, which fits your expansion card. It would lack the BRDY signals of course. RDL+WRL (WIZZnet) versus DSL+RWL (CP2200) would need to be looked at. But other than that, it looks quite similar on the low hardware level. Just designing a module it is less work for me than a full expansion card with PLD.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

ones' complement wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:42 pm Since the Pico worked a minor miracle for QL VGA (thanks to Oliver), is it possible WIZnet W5500-EVB-Pico - RP2040 Board with Ethernet might be useful here (or am I being a bit naive :oops: ).
The purpose of that board is ethernet for the RP2040. We want ethernet for the 68008 here, so the role of the RP2040 would be somewhat unclear to me.

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Peter wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:52 am My own philosphy has always been somewhat against offloading software to non 68K CPUs.
Re WIZnet W5500-EVB-Pico - RP2040 Board with Ethernet
Peter wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:08 pm The purpose of that board is ethernet for the RP2040. We want ethernet for the 68008 here, so the role of the RP2040 would be somewhat unclear to me.
Just thought the Pico could do the heavy stuff /buffering and feed it to slow 68008 QL. I don't know much about the software side of it but I guess code/libraries already exist for Pico.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

ones' complement wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:38 pm Just thought the Pico could do the heavy stuff /buffering and feed it to slow 68008 QL. I don't know much about the software side of it but I guess code/libraries already exist for Pico.
Thats what the Wiznet chip already does! That would make the RP2040 pretty redundant!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

And that’s why there are three solutions for the QL. Some people want the stack run for them and a driver. Some people want a TCP stack hidden behind a Hayes interface. Others want a manually operated, TCP stack in the QL, hardware to wiggle the bits and do everything manually.

I think only one of those shouldn’t exist - the last. So bring out your WizNets and ESP boards and enjoy them! The CP2200 is up there with direct write audio interfaces. Super high maintenance!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I think you are over thinking this, a user of a QL wants to connect their computer to a to TCP/IP Network, I think they will not care what the buffer speed is, whether it is has builtin drivers. I t just needs to work.

Most people do not know how a moibile telephone works, but they use want to be able to use it...

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I think you finely demonstrated my point. ;)

Anyhow, I look for ward to more alternatives to the really outdated CP2200 chip. Alternatives that reduce the burden on programmers and users but most of all on the system.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:14 pm I think you finely demonstrated my point. ;)

Anyhow, I look for ward to more alternatives to the really outdated CP2200 chip. Alternatives that reduce the burden on programmers and users but most of all on the system.
But what about the ethernet that you were designing?

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:14 pmAnyhow, I look for ward to more alternatives to the really outdated CP2200 chip.
I have reviewed the situation for the CP2200-GQ, and unfortunately Silicon Labs will only produce it until July 2023. There are still large stocks, so for a design to be manufactured this or next year I would still use it, given the good driver situation. In the long run, sadly, design decisions will get difficult.
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:14 pmAlternatives that reduce the burden on programmers and users but most of all on the system.
How reduce the burden on programmers by changing the chip away from CP2200? It can hardly get better than finished drivers...

As for burden on the system: From my experience, the biggest issue is still the QDOS/SMS slave buffering. Slowing down file transfer over ethernet much more than the difference between CP2200 and other solutions.