Lightning SE

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Lightning SE

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I've been re-felting some of my random cartridges and found this gem:
lightning.png
Didn't even know I had it. Did give it a try and must say, I couldn't find speed improvements with either ZXSimulator or other software I tried. Even a set of FOR loops to run a speed test (Noel from Noel's Retro Lab did a speed test and added the QL) didn't help anything. I had things turned on. Even had precision to single byte but still no improvements. Is this really only helping text scrolling? I thought it would have more efficient graphics routines (I use a ton of block calls in my code) and math functions but haven't seen gains. I used it on JSU and JS roms on an unexpaned QL. Anyone use this?

Also, on my YouTube channel I had a commenter, Brian Watson, who was the author of CP/M for Digital Precision. He said he couldn't find it anywhere (not sure if he meant his source or the actual executable). I told him it was abandonware so not publicly available but he should join us on this forum and say hi. Maybe we'll see him. Pretty cool though.

RalfR
Aurora

Re: Lightning SE

Post by RalfR »

With a native QL (640k) I always found, that "_lngON" made the screen with PRINT statements a lot faster.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Lightning SE

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I bought the disk and ROM version in 1998, which did make a big difference.

I had to get the rom updated to faster access EPROM, as it would not work with the Miracle Hard Disk. Those nice people at Miracle Systems did the free upgrade.

There is a nice way to add founts to channels, but Toolkit 2 made this sort of redundant.

Lightning SE was a good add on to the QL, but when Minerva came out with graphics speeds of 98% of Lightning, without the use of the ROM slot.

Regards,

Derek