ICL OPD

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
techfury
ROM Dongle

Re: ICL OPD

Post by techfury »

Two more OPD cartridges' contents... one seems to be a backup copy of a machine code program named Presenter, another one has about a dozen games in OPD SuperBASIC. Interestingly, it also seems to contain some kind of SuperBASIC dump tool, but it unfortunately seems to rely on an assembly subroutine that I have not found on the other cartridges as of yet.

Most of the cartridges I've gone through so far are just Xchange documents- to the pile for testing/formatting they go. Still got at least a dozen to go through.

BTW, I've been looking through my duplicates of some of the OPD bundled cartridges like Xchange Help, Xchange Demo, etc. Xchange Demo seems identical between BT and ICL copies. I have an ICL Xchange Help that might actually be newer than the BT one- it's volume label XCGHL_25 instead of the previously-dumped HELP17. Unfortunately, I am not having the best luck getting a good copy of this one...
Attachments
OPD Presenter and Games.zip
(40.71 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I don't suppose anyone has an image of the XBAD03 ROM or a complete set of a newer ROM set images?

Although I managed to read the failing XBAD03 ROM from my OPD and write it to an EPROM there are issues which suggest that the image isn't quite right, such as Housekeeping crashing if you try to format a cartridge.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I can probably get those over the weekend Stephen - as I need to get my ROM burner out anyway for the Aurora card build.

Is that one of the 4 ROMs on the CPU card, or the ROMS in the Xchange cartidge?

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

My XBAD03 ROM, and the others are in this zip file.

The other zip file is the phrase ROM that I captured using a BBC B.
Attachments
ICL OPD PHROM.zip
(482.19 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
ICL OPD ROMS.zip
(201.37 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks!

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Pr0f wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:00 am I can probably get those over the weekend Stephen - as I need to get my ROM burner out anyway for the Aurora card build.

Is that one of the 4 ROMs on the CPU card, or the ROMS in the Xchange cartidge?
CPU card. I've seen at least three versions of the ROM sets in images, the XBA*02, XBA*03 and QD*05. Apparently the X stands for masked ROMs and Q for EPROMs. The last number seems to be the release and second letter the major code version.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

OK - I will see what ROMS I have - I think I also have some images saved on the laptop at home - so will check these too.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Bother. Chr$'s XBAD03 image is the same as mine, suggesting that there's another fault on the OPD causing Housekeeping to crash when attempting to format a cart.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:16 pm Bother. Chr$'s XBAD03 image is the same as mine, suggesting that there's another fault on the OPD causing Housekeeping to crash when attempting to format a cart.
I remember being able to format a cart, but it was with my main OPD with a different set of ROMs.... the ones I dumped were from a spare m/b and daughter board. Must be a bug then if they are the same and it doesn't work. Unless it fails and goes wrong if there aren't enough good sectors? I'll dig out the other one and check its ROMs when time permits.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I was able to format last weekend so it's obviously a new problem.

It crashes as soon as it tries, before it even turns on the motor. It does test to see if the cart is already formatted and prompts if it is.