Knoware.no

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Knoware.no

Post by Derek_Stewart »

pjw wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:42 pm Software is dead!
Im thinking of winding down this operation after the new year. Pointless paying good money to give away stuff that virtually no one wants! Im keeping the domain name for a while yet in case I get another attack of foolishness.
I may spend less time on this forum too if I can help it. Shouldnt be too hard as Im soon going travelling.
So Merry Christmas to y'all and many Happy New Years!
Hi Per,

I would not no one wants your software. I do !!!

I have downloaded all your software and integrated in my QL setup, and also supplied on all new Q68 computers.

I like the way you write your software and I have been trying to write software in your style, but lack intelligence and looks limit my ability to write software as good as you.

I hope you keep going, the QL needs good sotware aurthors like you.

Regards,

Derek
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Im thinking of winding down this operation after the new year. Pointless paying good money to give away stuff that virtually no one wants! Im keeping the domain name for a while yet in case I get another attack of foolishness.
I may spend less time on this forum too if I can help it. Shouldnt be too hard as Im soon going travelling.
That would be a great loss for the QL comunity. I downloaded most of your software and studied them - and learned a lot from them. And I still have a lot to learn from you.
For QL programming your site is irreplaceable. And what the QL lacks and badly needs is software!

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

The QL in general is near dead, not just software. I also do my QL work during attacks of foolishness. Probably most of us do. ;)
We certainly appreciate your work. You need a pause maybe and then restart with new inspiration. Have a good christmas time!

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

pjw wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:42 pm Im thinking of winding down this operation after the new year. Pointless paying good money to give away stuff that virtually no one wants!
That would be really sad and a huge loss to the community. I have used your wonderful pieces of software over the years and they have been extremely useful.

Can you please at least consider archiving the site and enabling at least some way of downloading your SW. I'm sure we as a community will be able to arrange a hosting solution that you wouldn't need to pay for. Your software should definitely not be lost from the future software archaeologists!

Have a wonderful holiday! All the best,
Petri

Tesla
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by Tesla »

Noooo! Please not to do such a thing. Your site and software are of a frightening utility. The fault lies with those who, like me, attend your site and often forget to thank you for your precious work. Not being a great user of SMSQE (at the moment), however, I love explore your site in search of useful things, and I must say that there are many real ones.
So please don't give up.

With great admiration
Marco

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi Per,
please don't do it....
I expressed my opinion about your work many time in different period, I am one (out of the many :D ) fan of your software being this, all the time, source of inspiration.
Always your updates about Knoware bringing new ideas and explore new possibility using SMSQ/E.

Nowadays we are surrounded about bad news, don't add this and let stay with us ....

Fabrizio

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Retro computers are like vintage cars. There are some models more popular than others (because they were more popular when they were new). However, all of them are of interest especially the unique ones, though they may not have as many people working with them. You have individuals that try to do cool upgrades to the engine (hardware) and some that do interesting mods/renovations (software) and all are interesting. But in the end, it's a hobby done for the love of vintage. There are a few people that can make a small amount of money selling replacement parts for it, but no one likely will make a comfortable living.

Some people like to be part of a bigger small community, but for me, I like that the QL is more unique than say a C64 or Amiga, but that's just personal preference. I love to share what the QL can do and enjoy people saying "wow, didn't know it could do that." I also find the bigger communities hit or miss and sometimes less friendly -- i.e. my experience on the English Amiga Board is sometimes useless comments or lengthy arguments about how the Amiga was great and how can you not realize it. I mean I do get good answers on occasion, but I also am not surprised to get flamed for asking a question.

For fun I wrote an emulator for the QL, even though I knew the audience for it would be tiny to non-existent. I still love showing what it can do and hate that I don't have enough time to finish it (I had more time during the pandemic). One thing I did was find free ways to host a website, so I'm not paying to share it with anyone. So perhaps it's key to figure out ways to indulge in a hobby and sharing those efforts with other but not pay too much for it. I very much appreciate and respect individuals that host (and pay for) websites for the QL, without which, we'd be lost as a community -- Dilwyn's sites comes to mind for me...unfortunately I haven't looked at Knoware.no but it looks packed with stuff as well.

However, sometimes people find their hobby not so much fun, and the best thing to do is take a break from it, store it away and see if they miss it and come back to it. So that's what I would recommend: put it aside, find something new and maybe come back to it with new ideas from perhaps a new but related hobby.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Per,
Not sure if you have seen my PM from December.
I can provide you with hosting at no cost, it would be a real shame to lose another QL resource.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Per,

Pity your web site is not available.

Maybe the QL Forum could host your web site?

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:13 pm Hi Per,

Pity your web site is not available.

Maybe the QL Forum could host your web site?
Hi Derek,
Thanks for the shout out. Ive had a few friendly offers including from QL Forum. I'll get it sorted "real soon now".

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?