Knoware.no

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: Knoware.no

Post by RalfR »

pjw wrote:About SMS, its hard to comment on something no one else seems to have - at least I dont have it.
SMS2 is totally different from SMSQ/E. It does not have any Basic, just a CLI with very different keywords (compared to the usually ones from TK2). I have it as a disk version for the Atari mono mode and it needs quite a lot additionally toolkits, say, a special ptr_gen for the mono mode, a parser to use SBAS/QD with QLib and a few others.

TT thankfully provided me with a patched XChange for mono mode, which worked quite well. No CALL games and software, just well programmed EX programs. I mainly used it with QFax and QTPI, but lacking a Basic and just to use SBAS/QD is a bit circumstancial in SMS2.

My SMS2 BOOT is here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3646&hilit=sms2&start=30#p39352.

4E75 7000
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Having download WQRDLI (and nearly choked myself trying to pronounce it until I realised I wasn't meant to try to pronounce the Q), I still haven't found time to try it out.
Only a Welshman would try that :-D

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

dilwyn wrote:Having download WQRDLI (and nearly choked myself trying to pronounce it until I realised I wasn't meant to try to pronounce the Q), I still haven't found time to try it out.

I belong to the Norman Dunbar school of thought when it comes to Wurdle<>
When I decided to make WQRDLI no hype had reached my attention. As I
mentioned, I saw a paragraph in a blog, and when I cottoned on that it
worked in a similar way to Master Mind, the whole idea for the program
plopped into my head; it was only a matter of writing it up! That is the
sum total of my involvement with Wordle. Shortly after my first sketch,
Covid-19 struck and I was laid out for a few days. By the time I was ready
to resume, yes, the frenzy had reached the MSM, but I plodded on
undeterred, as my design was already fixed.

Normally, I dont blow with the wind. On the contrary, I pretty much make up
my own mind about things - hence I am a QLer! ;) On the other hand, I would
not be ashamed of admitting that I liked or copied something that happened
to be popular. I all depends. However, I would resent an untrue
implication - and try my best not to be guilty of the same.

Having put that one to bed, I hope y'all can now enjoy WQRDLE (if you like
that sort of thing) without guilt! - in the certain knowledge that it has -
at worst - only a tenuous connection to that other game thats generating
all that unseemly razzmatazz!

PS I once tried to get to
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Wales, but
never made it 'cause I could never read the road signs to the end in the
time it took to drive past them!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

RalfR wrote:
pjw wrote:About SMS, its hard to comment on something no one else seems to have - at least I dont have it.
SMS2 is totally different from SMSQ/E. It does not have any Basic, just a CLI with very different keywords (compared to the usually ones from TK2).<>
But thats my point: I presume SMSQ/E is just an Enhanced, QL-compatible version of SMS2. The main difference is SBASIC/CLI; although there appears to be some remnants of SBASIC left in SMS2. There were documents or articles on this once, but I have no idea where I saw them.

Stella now, that is something different. But did it ever leave the drawing board, I wonder?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

pjw wrote: Stella, now that is something different.
Yes it really is, and it did leave the drawing board and I have it running on an Atari ST, so it must exist. I imagine that Qurus, worthier than me, would also have copies.

I will suggest an alternative view on the SMS2/Stella scenario. Alternative as in alternative to pjw and RalpR's understanding as expressed earlier.

As far as I am concerned, the main, actually only significant, difference between SMS2 and SMSQE is the absence of a BASIC interpreter as a CLI. All the BASIC programs I write in SMSQE run perfectly on SMS2. The interpreter was introduced into SMS2 to turn it into SMSQE at the request of Jochen Mertz and Miracle systems because they both thought that the QL user would not be able to understand a system with a different (better in my opinion) CLI.

It is true to say that SMSQE has been enhanced with GD2 and other useful drivers but I cannot imagine it would be difficult to add them to SMS2.

The only time I use the SMSQE interpreter is to run a BOOT program. I find the equivalent SMS2 STARTUP file easier to understand. It does exactly the same thing and uses similar instructions. I have never found another use for the SBASIC interpreter.
Running an SBASIC program on my HD SMSQE setup always scrambles my screen. Executing a _bas program is slightly less useful than executing a _obj program, so I don't do it.

SMS2 was not built to be an alternative QDOS for QL users. It was designed to be an easy to use system that embodied TT's OS theories.
What I find strange is that JM, an SMS2 vendor, thought that the true paleoQtologists needed an enhanced OS, downgraded to look like a QL. I know that he ran an extensive suit of interpreted programs to run his business and wanted the benefits of SMS2 without having to compile his programs, but why sabotage an advanced OS just to satisfy his particular problem.

One can tell from some of TT's plaintive missives, posted elsewhere on this forum, that he was not exactly enamoured with the use of an interpreter as a user interface.

SBASIC is embedded in SMS2 (well it is on my version) via a QD-parser-Qlib IDE. It is this "SMS2 IDE" that I use in SMSQE, together with various other programs, to learn how to write SBASIC applications. If an SMS type OS was ever to escape the confines of the QL world, to be used as a modern hobby platform, the last thing it should look like on startup, is a system designed in the 1980s.

I think that an enhanced SMS2 (ie with GD2 etc. added) in something like a Qzero would be of great interest to the general computer hobbyist.

RalfR writes that SMS2 "needs quit a lot of additional toolkits" (to make it useful?). The PEROM SMS2 that I use (in an Atari PC emulator) contains everything worthwhile including THINGS and an expandable SBASIC, whereas SMSQE in its "naked" form, looks like a basic QL. To make SMSQE usable I, do indeed, need to add lots of stuff via a BOOT program. In my case it is a variant of an SMS2 STARTUP file.

Stella is his opus magnum. TT was, I think, convinced that QDOS and SMS2 proved beyond doubt that his OS theories had merit, but that they were both significantly flawed. At least twice he proposed building a new system, without flaws, from scratch.

One proposal was made approximately 6 months after SMS2 was finished. He suggested developing something (as in something completely different) with a select band of Qgurus. It came to nothing, partly I imagine, because there was nothing to run it on. Another proposal was to build a "multi processor Lego like system" with an OS to match but again using what processors.
Finally he had the opportunity, whilst developing SMS2-in-PEROM to create a brand new OS on the only off-the-shelf hardware he had at his disposal. That hardware was the Atari ST and, as far as I know, the ST is the only hardware where it still resides to date.

One of his problems may have been "on what do I run Stella". This is almost the exact opposite to the problem faced by HP and their billion dollar attempt at building something new titled "The Machine". At least TT had a novel (see http://www.hpe) "Memory-Driven" OS.
Without the billions regularly used to develop more fashionable systems, TT was confined to using low cost 680xx based computers and we all know what happened to them.

The reason I keep "banging on" about FPGAs (the clue is in my user name) is that for the first time since the creation of Stella an OS can be developed without being dependent on conventional hardware. For those with the skills, as Peter Graf has demonstrated, creating hardware in FPGA is no more difficult than creating its companion OS.

If the Qurus are really looking for a challenge then Stella or SMS2, as a stepping stone, in FPGA is the way to escape the confines of history. SMSQE, although an eminently usable system, that I like a lot, was a sop to JM, and possibly others unwilling to move forwards.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Tinyfpga wrote: The reason I keep "banging on" about FPGAs (the clue is in my user name) is that for the first time since the creation of Stella an OS can be developed without being dependent on conventional hardware.
I'm a bit at loss on whether Stella was ever created indeed. The only thing I can remember floating around is conceptual design documents. As there indeed was nothing in sight to run it on at that time, I have some doubts whether there ever was an existing implementation.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:I belong to the Norman Dunbar school of thought when it comes to Wurdle, and for the first time in my life I am going to pick on Marcel for something, for his "it's just a little game" comments. If you can totally isolate yourself from the hype and social media, where the weird wide Wurdle world seems to take great delight in showing off their latest result (it took me ages to figure out what the hell all the 'Wurdle 1234 5/6' postings meant),
Well, in Germany this game is virtually unheard of and the only person posting the Wordle stuff in my timeline is our Irish friend ;-) So it's pretty easy to miss the hype for me...
and the fact it made its inventor all that money (but without criticising it as a success story) , then it might just about pass as "just a game".
Yeah, it's weird that so much money changed hands with so little to show for it. But then we also have NFTs, so the world has gone mad anyway.
Then Marcel will learn some proper new British words!!! Actually, Welsh is apparently easier for a German speaker to pick up than an English speaker, so knowing Marcel's talents and his inability to refuse a challenge... :twisted:
I have no talent whatsoever when it comes to human languages :-D English is the one outlier for whatever reasons, probably because I watched so much of it on TV ;-)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Tinyfpga wrote:
pjw wrote: Stella, now that is something different.
Yes it really is, and it did leave the drawing board and I have it running on an Atari ST, so it must exist. I imagine that Qurus, worthier than me, would also have copies.<>
While Im not sure I understand everything you claim (does or does not
Stella actually exist? Do you have a working copy? Stella?!) I think that
you are trying to fit the cart before the horse:

SMSQ/E is the most advanced expression of SMS2 to date. The difference is
in the CLI/SBASIC as the control and command language. SMS is built in a
modular fashion, here are the modules the QPC2 version is made up of:
SMSQ/E V3.38 modules for QPC2
SMSQ/E V3.38 modules for QPC2
QPC2mods.jpg (48.97 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
See SBASIC there? Its a module on its own.

In theory, it would merely be a matter of swapping the SBASIC module with
the CLI module and, hey presto! you have SMS2/E V3.38, with GD2 and the
whole caboodle of QPC2 drivers, etc.

While the CLI sounds sexy to me, I wouldnt want to swap SBASIC for it. If
anything, it might be nice to have both - at least to play with. But that,
it seems to me, wouldnt be straightforward to do, as they would be in
contention as to which one was top dog.

But TBH I dont actually know. (I know someone who might know, or be able to
find out, but since he hasnt piped up I take it that hes not interested
enough to be bothered. And Im happy to leave it at that.)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Interestingly the module system SMSQ/E is using was developed for Stella. Apart from that I have no idea how much of it ever existed. The SMS2 CLI just looks like a quick&dirty command language loosely based on SuperBasic. Writing SBASIC was a looooot of work, so it made sense to start with something more simple, but apart from that I don't see any advantage to it.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I have a 25+ year old working copy of the Stella Kernel. It loads and runs from floppy disk on an Atari ST. There may be more recent versions.

How else can I put it. Stella is a real thing, I have a working copy, it is not a conceptual design.
I reckon that someone capable of understanding SMS2 or SMSQE should be capable of understanding Stella. I can not believe that nobody else has a copy or even that there isn't a more recent version out there.

As posted earlier, Stella can be considered as TT's great work. It's a shame that it is not expressed in an accessible and repeatable form (such as in FPGA), (or as a start QPC?)

I have just found the following post by Tony Tebby in a QL mail archive dated 21st Mar 2017.
TT.1.zip
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Someone called Dave Park asks him if Stella is a dead project. TT replies with four negatives. In my very limited opinion all four would be negated, were Stella to be expressed in FPGA as an experimenter's computing platform.

I have two question for pjw.
1. What do you use SMSQE's interpreter for? (other than for running a BOOT program)
2. Where can I get a copy of Module Viewer and does it run on SMSQE itself?

I am sure that it would be difficult and somewhat confusing to have two CLIs but I see no reason why you could not have an SBASIC interpreter running separately as a job like Thonny for Python.

As you have just observed, QLers have never expressed a real interest in Stella, but this, after all, is a QL forum.
Last edited by Tinyfpga on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.