Connecting a mouse to the QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Andrew
Chuggy Microdrive
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 am

How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
As serial mouse with 9 pin connectors are very hard to find, is there a way to connect a mouse with a PS2 connector ?


User avatar
belg4rion67
Trump Card
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:15 pm
Location: Milan - Italy

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby belg4rion67 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi, if you search into forum you will find a topic about an interface to connect a ps2 mouse and also in Dilwyn web site you will find a lot of infos about your request.


Only original hardware! :)
User avatar
mk79
Trump Card
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 am

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby mk79 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 pm

This is still a bit of a problem. The easiest solution is still the serial mouse. If you've got one of the old parallel-mouse interfaces like QIMI then there are also adapters to PS2: https://www.kilgus.net/2017/01/30/of-mice-and-men-but-mostly-mice/
People have also built new QIMI devices with PS2 support built in, but are not selling them. So all in all this still needs some better solution.


RWAP
RWAP Master
Posts: 2524
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:51 pm
Location: Stone, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby RWAP » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Andrew wrote:How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
As serial mouse with 9 pin connectors are very hard to find, is there a way to connect a mouse with a PS2 connector ?


A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)

QIMI was a nice interface, but is reliant on a BUS mouse without a suitable adaptor and as has been pointed out, the QIMI has not been made for years.


Andrew
Chuggy Microdrive
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:26 pm

RWAP wrote:A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)

Those adaptors are hit-and-miss. They work with some Logitech and Microsoft mouse models (mostly the models with ball), but not with all. Other brands seldom work with those adaptors.


User avatar
Peter
Super Gold Card
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am

RWAP wrote:A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors.

The adaptors I saw are passive and only work with obsolete combo mice which are also serial internally. No solution for recent PS/2 mice.


tetroid
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Novosibirsk, Russia

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby tetroid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:30 pm

RWAP wrote:
Andrew wrote:How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
As serial mouse with 9 pin connectors are very hard to find, is there a way to connect a mouse with a PS2 connector ?


A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)

QIMI was a nice interface, but is reliant on a BUS mouse without a suitable adaptor and as has been pointed out, the QIMI has not been made for years.


I try the active PS2 to serial adapter, it works fine on PC compatible computer.

Can you recommend the serial mouse software to check this adapter on QL ?


User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby dilwyn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 pm

The Albin Hessler Sermouse software is now freely distributable, thanks to Albin for allowing that. It canbe downloaded from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html . It is between the Pointer Environment and Toolkit 2 sections on that page.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
tetroid
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Novosibirsk, Russia

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Postby tetroid » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 pm

dilwyn wrote:The Albin Hessler Sermouse software is now freely distributable, thanks to Albin for allowing that. It canbe downloaded from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html . It is between the Pointer Environment and Toolkit 2 sections on that page.


Thank you.



Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests