68K/OS Utilities MDV Image

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
genetika
Over Heated PSU

68K/OS Utilities MDV Image

Post by genetika »

Probably it is a question already made.
Does anyone have a .mdv image with the utilities of 68k / os?
For example, to use with Qemulator.

Thanks,
in advance.

M. :D

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: 68K/OS Utilities MDV Image

Post by mk79 »

The 68K/OS format is physically different from the QDOS format, I don‘t think anybody ever managed to make images of them.

I started extracting the MDV code from 68K/OS a few years ago, but it never went anywhere.

Marcel

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

68k/OS supports ROM disk.
This is one possible way, how to import essential file (FORMAT.PROG, BAUD.PROG, COPY.PROG) into your system: to save them to ROMdisk, and then copy from ROM to MD: device (using COPY.PROG).

There are 2 ROM slots on the 68k/OS card, 16 KB each (32KB altogether) for the ROM disk.
But the logical format of ROM disk is unknown to me.

Somehow ADAM is stored on the ROM disk, so I anticipate, that it is stored at the end of previous 32 KB ROM space, ad the ROM disk continues to the empty 32 KB, maybe it has no directory and sector map, but stores files in ROM continuously concatenated in the format, which we can obtain when sending the file to serial...
... but this is hypothesis only.
I have seen photos of 68k/OS card with all 4 ROM slots occupied, but never got the content of the two intended for ROM disk.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

The files can be sent over a serial line, that is probably the easiest approach to saving them. But I haven‘t had the time to try it yet.

Marcel

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

mk79 wrote:The files can be sent over a serial line, that is probably the easiest approach to saving them.
But to transfer files back to 68k/OS, You need to have baud.prog and copy.prog already in the system (MD: or ROM:).
Hen and egg problem.