Fire

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Fire

Postby dilwyn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Following the house fire next door on Tuesday (which caused the death of my next door neighbour), I'm likely to have to put in a lot of work on my house to remove smoke odour etc, from the smoke which inevitably seeped into my home. Unfortunately, my attic is worst affected, I'm likely to have lost at least some if not all the QL stuff stored up there from smoke damage.

I will need to put in a lot of work on my house over the coming days to put right the effects of the smoke, so if I'm not responding to messages etc, that's why.

I was very lucky in that I was not injured (apart from being sunburned standing outside in the sunshine for hours until we were allowed back into our homes - we Welsh are not used to long hot sunny days !!) and there is no physical damage to my house that I know of.

To those who already knew and sent me messages, thank you, I've just been too busy to answer most of them, but grateful for the messages of sympathy and best wishes.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
User avatar
Dave
SandySuperQDave
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:52 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi Dilwyn,

I'm so very sorry to hear this happened to your neighbor and they lost their life. Things in an attic are so much less important than a human life, even if they are a real loss. I'm glad the fire did not spread and your home is intact.

Hopefully you'll recover quickly, and the attic contents aren't a complete loss.


User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby dilwyn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Dave wrote:Hi Dilwyn,
I'm so very sorry to hear this happened to your neighbor and they lost their life.


Normally I'd agree with you. But this guy made the lives of my late wife and I hell in so many ways for so many years. Nightmare Neighbour is too kind a term. Even interventions from our local authority over endless issues over many years failed to sort him out. My son and I had well-drilled emergency procedures here for how to get out of here in an emergency because we'd feared this for a long time - he was a long term accident waiting to happen. Sadly, I was proved right and it did happen.

Dave wrote: Things in an attic are so much less important than a human life, even if they are a real loss. I'm glad the fire did not spread and your home is intact.
Hopefully you'll recover quickly, and the attic contents aren't a complete loss.

Yes of course less important, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.

Thank you Dave.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
User avatar
1024MAK
Super Gold Card
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:16 am
Location: Looking forward to summer in Somerset, UK...

Re: Fire

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Dilwyn,

Glad to hear that you are okay, and from the sounds of what you say, hopefully there is no, or minimal damage to your home.

If the items in your loft were wrapped up, or in sealed boxes, they may be okay.

Mark


QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
User avatar
Dave
SandySuperQDave
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:52 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:30 pm

dilwyn wrote:Normally I'd agree with you. But this guy made the lives of my late wife and I hell in so many ways for so many years. Nightmare Neighbour is too kind a term. Even interventions from our local authority over endless issues over many years failed to sort him out. My son and I had well-drilled emergency procedures here for how to get out of here in an emergency because we'd feared this for a long time - he was a long term accident waiting to happen. Sadly, I was proved right and it did happen.


Wow! I never knew you had a nightmare neighbor from hell. They way you describe it, this sounds almost inevitable. I'm so sorry you had to live next to that. :/

dilwyn wrote:
Dave wrote: Things in an attic are so much less important than a human life, even if they are a real loss. I'm glad the fire did not spread and your home is intact.
Hopefully you'll recover quickly, and the attic contents aren't a complete loss.

Yes of course less important, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.


I was only trying to help you feel better about your own losses. It's only things in an attic. It could have been your entire home, or your own life. I know you'll really feel the loss anyway, because it is the storage of a life's work. I'm just grateful on your behalf that it's all you lost in the fire.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
NormanDunbar
Super Gold Card
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby NormanDunbar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Sorry to hear about this Dilwyn but exceedingly glad that you are ok.
Tragic about your neighbour though, regardless of the "hellishness". It sounds like you were expecting a fire.

Good luck with the clean up.

Best wishes.


Cheers,
Norm.


Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving!
If you think your job is pointless, remember, there's someone in Germany who fits indicators to BMWs.
User avatar
Pr0f
Gold Card
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am

Re: Fire

Postby Pr0f » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 pm

all the best with the clean up. Hope you are able to salvage the majority of the material.


User avatar
dden
ROM Dongle
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 am

Re: Fire

Postby dden » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am

Oh my goodness Dylwin I am so, so sorry to hear about this, I seem to have heard of so much bad happening to you in the last few years.

What happened to your neighbour is tragic. But from what you say it sounds as though it was probably inevitable. At least you seem to have prepared yourself for something like this.

I lived next door to a neighbour from hell for several years when I was younger. It's awful how long-drawn out low level stresses from people like that can take its toll on your health, both physical and mental. Brings back bad memories for me. I remember it only too well despite the time which has since passed. The sheer frustration of trying and failing to get something done about people like that. You end up thinking the law is always on the side of the wrongdoer.

While mentioning the loss of any QL stuff might seem trivial in the light of a neighbour losing his/her life, we all know how important QL has been to you for many years. When you are able to, resume your daily life, immerse yourself in your hobby and those people close to you, do the things you enjoy, try not to spend time dwelling on this. As tragic as it was, he's gone now. (Assuming it was a man of course).

Speak to you soon on the Online Chat, perhaps?

Take care,
David


David
User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby dilwyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

1024MAK wrote:Hi Dilwyn,
Glad to hear that you are okay, and from the sounds of what you say, hopefully there is no, or minimal damage to your home.
If the items in your loft were wrapped up, or in sealed boxes, they may be okay.
Mark

Thank you Mark. Items stored in the plastic crates with lids are OK. Fortunately, the flammable items such as my beloved QL World collection were in plastic crates with lids and will probably be OK once the overpowering smell has subsided and allows me to go into the attic to check things out.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk
User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Fire

Postby dilwyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 am

dden wrote:Oh my goodness Dylwin I am so, so sorry to hear about this

Thank you, although I'm sorry to hear you're still trying to learn how to spell my name :twisted: (only joking!)

dden wrote:What happened to your neighbour is tragic. But from what you say it sounds as though it was probably inevitable. At least you seem to have prepared yourself for something like this.

Yes.

dden wrote:I lived next door to a neighbour from hell for several years when I was younger. It's awful how long-drawn out low level stresses from people like that can take its toll on your health, both physical and mental. Brings back bad memories for me.

I'm very sorry to have brought back bad memories for you.

dden wrote:While mentioning the loss of any QL stuff might seem trivial in the light of a neighbour losing his/her life, we all know how important QL has been to you for many years. When you are able to, resume your daily life, immerse yourself in your hobby and those people close to you, do the things you enjoy, try not to spend time dwelling on this. As tragic as it was, he's gone now. (Assuming it was a man of course).

Thank you, will do, and yes it was a man.

dden wrote:Speak to you soon on the Online Chat, perhaps?
Take care,
David

Yes, sure thing. Thank you David.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk

Return to “The Off-Topic Section”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests