WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am

Wanted:

UK layout standard 102 key USB keyboard. Any economical membrane keyboard will do, if it is standard and doesn't require any special drivers to be installed to work.

I have developed a USB interface that works with US keyboards, and there are some minor differences in the HID specification for US vs. UK keyboards. I can't test and continue to develop on a US keyboard. It's at its core an Atmega AT90USB1287 which presents the USB keyboard with a host interface. It collects the keypress data and interprets it into QL ASCII characters. It is not yet at the stage where it can function as a replacement of the 8049, but it's not a million miles away either. With a little more work (and a keyboard) it could be extended to possibly incorporate serial functionality. If I can reach this stage, it can be a combined 8302/8049 replacement.

I'm happy to pay the purchase price and shipping costs for a UK keyboard. Just, an economical (and standard) one, not a fancy one with extra keys for email/power/volume/etc.

One thing that has come out of this: the discussion of where we might insert a Euro symbol into the QL ASCII map?

tofro
QL Wafer Drive

Re: WTD: UK layout USB keyboard

Postby tofro » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Dave wrote:One thing that has come out of this: the discussion of where we might insert a Euro symbol into the QL ASCII map?

That discussion has already ended:

SMSQ/E puts the € character at CHR$(181)

The key combination associated with that character is <CTRL><SHIFT>U.

I don't see a point in changing this.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Great :D

00 58 44 18 00 00
00 44 58 18 00 00
00 64 57 18 00 00
00 57 64 18 00 00

That covers every left and right SHIFT and CTRL, held in any order.

I'm curious if there's a French keyboard layout, or if any of the known other country layouts change any key positions.

I'm still looking for a UK keyboard, though.

NormanDunbar
Super Gold Card

Postby NormanDunbar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi Dave,

Yes there are French keyboard layouts, amongst others. You can see some/all/most of them at http://superbasic-manual.readthedocs.io ... rd-layouts.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving!
If you think your job is pointless, remember, there's someone in Germany who fits indicators to BMWs.

Return to “Wanted”