Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Silvester
Gold Card

Re: Today I Received...

Post by Silvester »

Pr0f wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:39 am I keep seeing those advertised - I've got a couple of the lilygo boards already - and they are wonderful little things - but I am struggling to justify why I might need this one ;-)
Same here, almost hit 'Buy' on Bangood but then read this reality check (see comment by andrewstuart :lol: ). Screen too small, no case (fragile back), too much to learn :( . Decided to stick with old school stuff.

David
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks to @Forgetful I have an Issue 5 QL, copies of Sinclair QL World and more documentation.

The QL has a reset issue, probably needs a new reset capacitor, and needed the keyboard ribbons trimmed as they'd cracked and torn. All working now.

Looks like an Issue 5 motherboard which originally had IC17 fitted but that's been snipped out after the ROMs have been upgraded to JM at some point. There's a Hermes manual and the co-processor is a Philips rather than the usual Intel chip so that could be a Hermes but I can't yet tell.

Anyway, thanks again.

P.S. Is a serial number "D05-001606" particularly early? It has a sticker underneath with "D11" printed upon it as well.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:04 pm Looks like an Issue 5 motherboard which originally had IC17 fitted but that's been snipped out after the ROMs have been upgraded to JM at some point. There's a Hermes manual and the co-processor is a Philips rather than the usual Intel chip so that could be a Hermes but I can't yet tell.
A Philips-made 8049 is common, my QLs have them too. A Hermes chip would be a 8749 EPROM-like chip.
P.S. Is a serial number "D05-001606" particularly early? It has a sticker underneath with "D11" printed upon it as well.
D05 is pretty early, looks like this machine has been upgraded from AH (or even FB?) EPROMs to JM ROMs.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Thanks. So not Hermes. Fair enough. :-)

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

This arrived today from a local 3D printers, ready for my QIMSI and so I don't lose it...

IMG_3693.jpeg

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Today I had a mammoth 8 hour round trip to pick up an Apricot Xi (and as an extra surprise, an Acorn Electron).

IMG_3597.jpeg

It also came with some nice, fully ripe RIFA caps...

IMG_3600.jpeg

And rather corroded (net even) foil and foam key switch pads.

IMG_3607.jpeg

But after void the the hard drive warranty (removing the lid) so as to unstick the spindle, the machine did boot.

t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Received these today

Will need to re-felt/test/repair (and find some 3D glasses)

IMG_3700.jpeg
IMG_3701.jpeg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Jealous of Mortville Manor, I've never seen that one available for sale.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
t0nyt
Gold Card

Post by t0nyt »

Chr$ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:59 pm Jealous of Mortville Manor, I've never seen that one available for sale.
Spotted them being sold as a pair on eBay and thought they were worth nabbing

After Re-felting them all, Wanderer seems to be fully intact (have taken backups) but Mortville has 4 corrupt files :sad:

Does anyone have the following files they'd be willing to supply/sell me so I can repair the originals (or at least the backups I've made) please?

Mort1 MDV is missing smanoir_exe, manoir_exe & car2_o
Mort2 MDV is missing d62

Many thanks

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

t0nyt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:09 pm
Chr$ wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:59 pm Jealous of Mortville Manor, I've never seen that one available for sale.
Spotted them being sold as a pair on eBay and thought they were worth nabbing

After Re-felting them all, Wanderer seems to be fully intact (have taken backups) but Mortville has 4 corrupt files :sad:

Does anyone have the following files they'd be willing to supply/sell me so I can repair the originals (or at least the backups I've made) please?

Mort1 MDV is missing smanoir_exe, manoir_exe & car2_o
Mort2 MDV is missing d62

Many thanks
I have those files and will happily send them. In fact I'll send the complete images I have of carts 1 and 2. I got them in a lot described as 'originals' but I think they have been cloned somehow, at least the file structure looks original.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.