Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I only use Windows 7 to program the Q68 FPGA.

The Q68 Distribution SD Card used to be created on a Linux PC with built-in SD Card Reader. I find creation of Partitions in Linux easier than Windows or Mac.

The Windows Disk Management console snap-in can add FAT16 simple partitions, but it looks like Microsoft want us to use NFTS.

If I used a Windows system, I would use the console based diskpart, which is more flexible than the Disk Management GUI Snap-in.

I only used Windows 10 to use Altium Designer, but since KiCad 7 was introduced, that suits me better and I do use Windows 10, only the Q68 FPGA mentioned earlier is used with Windows 7.

I do no miss Windows, as Linux suits me it runs all QL Emulators, also some the can not run on Windows. The integration with the Q68 is good as well.

Back to the partition question, I would now create 1 FAT32 partition and 3 256Mb FAT partitions to fill the whole SD Card.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:33 am
If I used a Windows system, I would use the console based diskpart, which is more flexible than the Disk Management GUI Snap-in.
That is definitly the better option offering more functionality. But it definitly doesn't align with Martin's query for an easy-to-use tool (rather the opposite - I find diskpart much more confusing than Linux fdisk or GParted, for example.)

What could be useful for you, Martin, is the "GParted-stand-alone USB distribution". This supplies a Mini-Linux on a bootable USB-Stick or CD, booting directly into GParted, the Linux graphical partitioning tool. It comes with an extensive manual. Put that stick into an USB port, boot from it and you'll be ending up in a graphical tool allowing you to do all sorts of partitioning actions on the SD card. The only thing you need to be very sure of is that you're operating on the proper SD card and not disturb your hard disk setup (But that's true with all tooling handling partitions, also the Windows tools).

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Thanks for the suggestions. I might give GParted a look. But I have something of a love hate relationship with Linux.

It loves to hate me. Over the years I've tried getting into Linux a number of times, But I have never managed to get a Linux to install and work properly.
I view getting the Linux install program to actually finish as a major victory. The PC that I have with an old copy of Ubuntu on it, is the closest to a working Linux I have ever got to. But even that does not work properly. If I try to install anything on it, it throws up error messages. It's basically stuck with the pre installed applications.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Martin_Head wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:22 am Thanks for the suggestions. I might give GParted a look. But I have something of a love hate relationship with Linux.

It loves to hate me. Over the years I've tried getting into Linux a number of times, But I have never managed to get a Linux to install and work properly.
I view getting the Linux install program to actually finish as a major victory. The PC that I have with an old copy of Ubuntu on it, is the closest to a working Linux I have ever got to. But even that does not work properly. If I try to install anything on it, it throws up error messages. It's basically stuck with the pre installed applications.
That's why I proposed the bootable standalone. No install needed, boot from CD or USB, do whatever you need to do, then put it back in a drawer.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I use Linux Mint 21.2 x64 which can be saved onto an USB Pendrive, starts up as z Live demo system.

Ubuntu has a tracking program included in the distribution, Mint 21 does not do this, and use the Ubuntu drivers.

The Gnome Disks application, looks like Windows Disk manager, but works better recognises all partition formats, work great with Q68 SD Card setups.

Or use Puppy Linux, runs off USB Drive.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Pity tte Q68 could not create its own partitions, but I suspect this might be too hard to do...

Regards,

Derek
qbits
Trump Card

Post by qbits »

Hi Derek
I think you may have mentioned this before, the speed of Q68 compared with original BBQL.

I’ve been checking out Martins write up on QSound musical notes etc.
Hope to implement this in a version of my QBITS Exploring QLSounds
I’ve been working on a 4 octave keyboard display for Score sheet Mode and a Tracker to go with the Beep Mode.

QBITS

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Qbits,

Sounds interesting.

I have been trying to convert Spectrum games that use the BASIC BEEP command, the QL and the Q68 BEEP command are the same.

I tried to make a translation of the Spectrum BEEP to QL BEEP, using a value of 33 as Middle C and each semitone add 2 to reduce note, minus to increase.

SP Note QL
-2 A# 38
-1 B 36
0 C 33
1 C# 31
2 D 28

Seems to work on the QL, QPC2, SMSQmulator and Q68.

I used Jan Jones advice on the BEEP command, to use a PAUSE command to give correct duration.

Regards,

Derek
NL_QL_Usr
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by NL_QL_Usr »

Windows dos Diskpart
be sure to select the correct disk!!

diskpart
list disk

select disk 1
clean