Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The maximum size of FAT32 partition is 32Gb, and only 1 FAT32 partition to hold all, the QWA or QUBide files.

If Card 1 is defined as FAT32, then FAT16 partitions will have to be on Card 2, defined by the FAT_DRIVE command.

Prowess uses the SMSQ/E window nature, which is defined as display contents when dragging. This can be changed in the SMSQ/E config blocks.

Minerva4Q68, is a nice attempt at getting Minerva running, there looks to be a little more work to do.

I do not know how make Minerva use a resolution other than 512x256.

The source code to the Q68 Minerva is at:

https://github.com/janbredenbeek/Minerva4Q68

There is no DISP_MODE command to switch to 1024x768, maybe copy the SMSQ/E assembler source for DISP_MODE to Minvera4Q68, is ao solution, but maybe that is too simple.

How ca UQLX function on the Q68, or is it the process that UQLX uses to access higher resolutions...

How does the C code translate into assembler?

I will have a looK, at later, but not too much time at present

Regards,

Derek
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

XorA wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:29 pmuqlx installs a virtual driver in Xscreen.c/init_xscreen() function to handle the bigger than QL screen modes!
Ah, thank you! Didn't know that. Well it's not so important. For normal work I will of course use SMSQ/E. I will use other QL-ROMs just for special software, which doesn't run on SMSQ/E, e.g. games - want to play (try) Vroom again (my favourite game for the QL).

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
ql_freak
Gold Card

Joystick Ports Missing

Post by ql_freak »

Would it be possible to add (configure/DIY) Ql-compatible joystick-ports to the Q68? These are just some lines and columns of the keyboard matrix (I know, as I have had built my full keyboard myself - 100% compatible!).

I think, this may be important for original operating systems, when playing old games (I have had of course also built my joystick myself). The original QL-Joysticks are just some (one?) rows and some columns from the „keyboard matrix“ described in the „Concepts“ section of the original QL-manual.

GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Joystick Ports Missing

Post by tofro »

ql_freak wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 am Would it be possible to add (configure/DIY) Ql-compatible joystick-ports to the Q68? These are just some lines and columns of the keyboard matrix (I know, as I have had built my full keyboard myself - 100% compatible!).
Considering that the keyboard input to the Q68 is PS/2 and the matrix is only present in the keyboard rather than the computer itself, your best bet is probably to move the joystick pickup into the keyboard.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Joystick Ports Missing

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:50 am
ql_freak wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 am Would it be possible to add (configure/DIY) Ql-compatible joystick-ports to the Q68? These are just some lines and columns of the keyboard matrix (I know, as I have had built my full keyboard myself - 100% compatible!).
Considering that the keyboard input to the Q68 is PS/2 and the matrix is only present in the keyboard rather than the computer itself, your best bet is probably to move the joystick pickup into the keyboard.
Hi,

Do you mean, install a joystick port in the PS/2 Keyboard and connect the Joystick actions to the specific keypress.

The QL CTRL ports is are:

CTRL1: LEFT, DOWN RIGHT, UP, SPACE
CTRL2: F1, F2, F3, F4, F5

Do you think this would work?

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

ql_freak wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:32 pm
XorA wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:29 pmuqlx installs a virtual driver in Xscreen.c/init_xscreen() function to handle the bigger than QL screen modes!
Ah, thank you! Didn't know that. Well it's not so important. For normal work I will of course use SMSQ/E. I will use other QL-ROMs just for special software, which doesn't run on SMSQ/E, e.g. games - want to play (try) Vroom again (my favourite game for the QL).
Hi Peter,

The SMSQ/E writers, told me that the Q68 QL screen Mode is highly compatible with QL Games, most Digital Precision Games work with the Q68 in DISP_MODE 0/1 which is QL MODE 8/4.

I have VROOM on microdrive, but I will need to make a MDV image, convert to MDI can run on the Q68 from a FAT partition.

Maybe you could try VROOM on the Q68, or I will get to it later on.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:58 am
ql_freak wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:32 pm
Hi Peter,

The SMSQ/E writers, told me that the Q68 QL screen Mode is highly compatible with QL Games, most Digital Precision Games work with the Q68 in DISP_MODE 0/1 which is QL MODE 8/4.

I have VROOM on microdrive, but I will need to make a MDV image, convert to MDI can run on the Q68 from a FAT partition.

Hi,

With the help from the nice people on the QL Chat system, it seems that Vroom does work in SMSQ/E and runs on the Q68.

The main problem seems bevthevthe game does not switch to Mode 8, this has to be done before the game is run.

Once MODE 8 or DISP_MODE 0 is selected, Vroom runs very quickly ftom a MDI converted MDV image.

Connecting the speakers to the Q68 Stereo Sound ouput gives stereo sound from the game.

The game runs too fast, so the SLUG command is required to slow the game to allow playing it.

Just need a Joystick....
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu May 25, 2023 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

And also you can run it off any device if you use a hex editor to change mdv1_ to the device of your choice in the exe file!

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

The Q68 should be able to work in MODE 8 with Minerva as its screen mode register at $18063 is compatible with the BBQL. Just press the F2 key on boot.

Minerva's screen driver should also be able to handle screen resolutions different from 512x256 or 256x256 as can be demonstrated with sQLux, however AFAIK it can only handle the 4 or 8 colour mode layout from DISP_MODE 0 and 1. 1024x768x4 might be possible with some POKEs, supporting other modes requires a backport of (parts of) the SMSQ_E driver.

(and I'm not even talking about the Pointer Interface which is included in SMSQ_E but has to be loaded separately with Minerva, though I believe it supports higher resolutions too but only in 4 or 8 colour mode)

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:58 am I have VROOM on microdrive, but I will need to make a MDV image, convert to MDI can run on the Q68 from a FAT partition.

I'm nearly sure, that I have had Vroom (I have had buyed this game!) running from Floppy. Just searched my old QL disks, but unfortunately I currently cannot find my Games disk (I had nearly all games on one disk). Must look through my old (carton) QL boxes, when I find time. Fortunately I have a working USB-floppy drive, which works in QPC.