How to destroy a PC keyboard to use it in a Sinclair QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
jose_leandro
ROM Dongle

How to destroy a PC keyboard to use it in a Sinclair QL

Post by jose_leandro »

Hi all

Happy new year :-)

These days I've been on holiday and I had time to make a project that I was thinking quite some time.The project may seem a waste of time because you have to spend time, effort and can be very expensive but if you're like me, you had an QL upper case with no keys, maybe it's an option :-P

Basically, the project has been to take a mechanical PC keyboard ( Very expensive if you're not lucky enough to find a very cheap Chinese mechanical keyboard like me) :

The green rectangles represent the part I used . QL case never will be like original QL case:

because I made these two "little" holes :-P

which I filled with PC keyboard parts I've had to cut (more work):

I had to wire the PC keyboard following QL keyboard matrix. Using AWG30 wire wrapping looks good:

and after a few hours (no so much that I expect), this is the final result:

Yes, some keys do not match because English QL keyboard is very similar to English PC keyboard English but Spanish PC keyboard is quite different (which also is different to Spanish QL keyboard). I've to put some stickers to solve this problem :-)

And that's all . The complete article ( sorry, in Spanish) is here : http://hardware.speccy.org/temp/SinclairQL-teclado.html

bye

José Leandro

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: How to destroy a PC keyboard to use it in a Sinclair QL

Post by vanpeebles »

Hahaha, that is clever! :D

Cristian
Aurora

Re: How to destroy a PC keyboard to use it in a Sinclair QL

Post by Cristian »

Caramba :!: