Bad Apple demos

A place to discuss general QL issues.
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Re: Bad Apple demos

Post by stephen_usher »

I've written the initial test encoder and I'm getting about a 9:1 compression ratio relative to the original screen dump files. (150*32K images > movie is ~510K) But this is a far smaller (256x256) area of change than would be needed for "Bad Apple" and possibly less complex, though there is a lot of unchanging background in that video, so it may compress well after all.

Having said that I would have to assume an average of 4KB/frame would need to be stored. The video is 5 minutes, 24 seconds in length, that's 324 seconds. What would be the minimum number of frames per second which would be acceptable? Even at one frame per second it would only just fit on a 1.44MB floppy.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Stephen

Your idea about a video player sounds good in principle. I suppose each video and sound players could be separate jobs, I think the hard bit is syncronhising the video to the sound.

The Bad Apple video is a single frame PNG animation, with WAV file sync-ed to the video.

Pity the format of the frames require conversion. Could the C68 PNG Library be used to display the frames of the animation?

Regards,

Derek
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Stephen

Your idea about a video player sounds good in principle. I suppose each video and sound players could be separate jobs, I think the hard bit is syncronhising the video to the sound.

The Bad Apple video is a single frame PNG animation, with WAV file sync-ed to the video.

Pity the format of the frames require conversion. Could the C68 PNG Library be used to display the frames of the animation?
It might be a bit too CPU/memory intensive. I'm trying to make this as light-weight as possible.

Of course, it might not work at all. :-)

P.S. Hit a snag... For some unknown reason when I'm reading the first byte of the file in it's being bit-swapped (should be 0x80 and is 0x01)... on the same machine it was written on!

od(1) is showing that the contents of the file are correct! Arg! *grumble* *grumble*

P.P.S. I was stupid! I blame the cold. I was assigning the return value of the read to the variable after reading it, so overwriting with the value '1' as it read on byte!

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

If you would like to have a look at the very early test code (which I've not managed to test on the QL yet as I'm still figuring out how to get the file onto the QL as an executable via a floppy image on the Gotek) you can download it here http://www.lingula.org.uk/~steve/share/ ... lytest.zip. It's a normal zip file and not a QL one.

Note that there's a lot of test harnessing going on and hard coded filenames etc. at the moment as it's very early code. I don't know if the decoder writes gobbledygook to the screen or not but the test version produces debug output which looks right. There's an XTC68 built executable of the decoder in the zip file too, along with the test encoded file (in the decoder directory).

I've included the original animated gif file and the set of QL screen dump files (which do work if I use LBYTES on SMSQmulator).

I'm not sure if I'll get any more time this weekend to work on it I'm afraid, but you may find it interesting to look at.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

stephen_usher wrote:What would be the minimum number of frames per second which would be acceptable? Even at one frame per second it would only just fit on a 1.44MB floppy.
A frame rate similar to the ZX Spectrum version, I suppose... or hopefully higher - after all, we have a QL ;-)
Regarding the memory parameters and so on, could it be reasonable to consider as starting point the QL+(S)Goldcard configuration?

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

stephen_usher wrote: The STE version uses extensive use of the Blitter and only works on that machine. Again, it's video that's using a custom codec optimised for the hardware, in this case the Blitter. It's also dependent upon the version of TOS as I don't think I managed to get it to work under TOS 2.06, only 1.62.
Yes, thank you for this clarification. The Atari STe version is a very special case. I just took it as a general example.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Memory, as in terms of space, isn't the issue it's CPU time and memory bandwidth which are the limitations. You need to make the absolute minimum number of writes to video memory that you can. Because making these decisions are potentially CPU intensive it's best to offload these onto the encoder which has all the time in the world to do its job, unlike the decoder.

At the moment the code isn't caching from disk, which will be the bottleneck, but that's because it's just a proof of concept for the actual encoding/decoding.

As for machine specification, I'd say that as you need a floppy interface for it to work at all then the base should be a the amount of memory you'd usually have got in a disk interface bask in the day, which would probably be 512K, though I know that there were smaller versions of the Trump Card available.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Well, I think a 512K Trumpcard is a great reference point!
Sorry for my poor competence about encoding/decoding and other tecnical issues. I would be happy to help somehow, so please feel free to ask if you need.
Thanks for your efforts, also the QL might have its merited place in the Bad Apple demo scene, hopefully.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, after finding a way to make the XTC68 produced program to be executable and fixing one major bug the decoder works, at least on SMSQmulator!

Here's the updated source:

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#ifdef __APPLE__
#include <strings.h>
#else
#include <string.h>
#include <memory.h>
#endif
#ifndef DEBUG
#include <qdos.h>
#else
#include <sys/types.h>
#endif

#include "../include/m4v.h"

#ifdef DEBUG
#define TESTFILE "test.m4v"
#else
#define TESTFILE "flp1_test.m4v"
#endif

#ifdef DEBUG
unsigned char screen[256][128];
#else
unsigned char *screen = (unsigned char *) 0x20000;
#endif

int main()
{
	int fd;
	int i, j, k, count;
	int cur_line = 0;
	unsigned char databyte;
	unsigned char *address;
	struct difference {
		unsigned char address;
		unsigned char value;
	} diffdat;
	unsigned int value;
	unsigned char line_buffer[128];

#ifndef DEBUG
	unsigned char *scr_line_ptrs[256];

for (i = 0; i < 256; i++)
		scr_line_ptrs[i] = (unsigned char *)(screen + (128 * i));
#else
	unsigned char *scr_line_ptrs[256];

for (i = 0; i < 256; i++)
		scr_line_ptrs[i] = screen[i];
#endif

if ((fd = open(TESTFILE, O_RDONLY)) < 0)
	{
		fprintf(stderr, "Can't open %s\n", TESTFILE);
		return -1;
	}

while((read(fd, &databyte, sizeof(unsigned char))) == sizeof(unsigned char))
	{
#ifdef DEBUG
		fprintf(stderr, "databyte is 0x%02x\n", databyte);
#endif
		if (isnewframe(databyte) == 1)
		{
			cur_line = 0;
#ifndef DEBUG
			mt_susjb(-1,1,NULL);
#else
			fprintf(stderr, "***************************** NEW BALLS PLEASE! ********************************\n");
#endif
		}
		else
		{
			if (cur_line == 256)
			{
				fprintf(stderr, "ERROR! got a frame with more than 256 lines!\n");
				return -1;
			}
		}

#ifdef DEBUG
		fprintf(stderr, "Line number: %d: \n", cur_line);
#endif

if (isdiffline(databyte) == 1)
		{
			count = (databyte & 0x3f);
#ifdef DEBUG
			fprintf(stderr, "We have a differential line with %d changes.\n", count);
#endif
			for (i = 0; i < count; i++)
			{
				if (read(fd, &diffdat, sizeof(struct difference)) != sizeof(struct difference))
				{
					fprintf(stderr, "Bad read of difference block.\n");
					return -1;
				}
#ifdef DEBUG
				fprintf(stderr, "Change at line %d, block %d: %02x\n", cur_line, diffdat.address, diffdat.value);
#endif
				address = (unsigned char *)(scr_line_ptrs[cur_line] + (diffdat.address * 2));
				*address = diffdat.value;
				*(address + 1) = diffdat.value;
			}
		}
		else
		{
#ifdef DEBUG
			fprintf(stderr, "Got a full scanline.\n");
#endif
			for (i = 0; i < 128; i++)
			{
				if (read(fd, &databyte, sizeof(unsigned char)) != sizeof(unsigned char))
				{
					fprintf(stderr, "Misread of fill line data.\n");
					return -1;
				}
				line_buffer[i++] = (unsigned char)((unsigned char) databyte);
				line_buffer[i] = (unsigned char)((unsigned char) databyte);
			}

bcopy((char *)line_buffer, (char *)scr_line_ptrs[cur_line], 128);
		}

cur_line++;
		databyte = 0x00;
	}
#ifdef DEBUG
	fprintf(stderr, "End of file, I think.\n");
#endif
	close(fd);
}
Now to try it on a real QL...

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Still a bug (only writing half the screen width and there's a screen offset issue which may be in the encoder or somewhere else).

However, (a) disk access speed is an issue, however, (b) even when run from a RAM disk it's too slow, about 1 fps on the most complex frames with an SGC clone!

On a better note, if the differences between frames is small then it's really quite fast.

P.S. Here's a video: https://youtu.be/zwvraMqqUec