RasPiQL

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: RasPiQL

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I looked at my PS/2 mouse and keyboard, which is the same as some in the picture.

Which was bought for the Q68, and now is used for everything.

There was ideas to fit a Q68 into the Perixx 409P kyboard case, but this requires a new lower case.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

The Qzero fits directly into the Perixx keyboard. Due to the chip crisis, I don't see series production soon, but I hope that at least a number of developers can be supplied this year.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

pjw wrote:In the background of the picture, under the monitor to the left is a Q68. It too is great, although it also has its limitations. To me its seems a little slower than SMSQmulator on Raspi B4.
That is interesting. I'm suprised the Q68 feels only a little slower. It is 40 MHz native versus 1500 MHz emulated after all.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand unboxed PI-400, which is a PI4B with 4Gb ram, with a 16Gb SD Card, and manual. Great I thought faster than the PI3B+

But when running the upto Linux OS - Buster, is really slow, do not like the file manager.

I compiled sQLux and installed Java and run SMSQmulator, all runs great, but I do not think they running slower then the Q68.

But it is not a fair comparison, as the Q68 is running at 40Mhz, the PI-400, PI-4B run at 1.5Ghz, if there a comparison o be made, I need the Q68 at 1.5Ghz.... maybe impossible.

I think the PI-400 purchase may of been a mistake, I should of stuck with the Core-i5 PC running a better form of Linux, at high speeds.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:<>
I think the PI-400 purchase may of been a mistake, I should of stuck with the Core-i5 PC running a better form of Linux, at high speeds.
The reasons I got the Pi was 1. I wanted to run the Knoware.no website off it rather than fork out for a web hosting site. 2. Its small, cheap, compact and uses very little power - the last thing I need is another chunky laptop, 3. I wanted to play.

However, I still havent managed to sort out my Internet issues (unmetered, fixed IP address, etc), so it wont happen in this cycle. The 4B is not the most energy efficient; I might get away with using a lower-spec model.. Will have to try it out and see (eventually).

PS On my Pi Java 11 was pre-installed, so all I had to do was install SMSQmulator. I havent got round to SQLux yet.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Peter wrote:<>
That is interesting. I'm suprised the Q68 feels only a little slower. It is 40 MHz native versus 1500 MHz emulated after all.
I'll run a few tests when I get the time and post some more objective timings here. All I can say is that it felt surprisingly slick, with the only downside being the vagaries of underlying Linux host that shatters the "QL" illusion.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
ones' complement
Trump Card

Post by ones' complement »

Derek_Stewart wrote:But it is not a fair comparison, as the Q68 is running at 40Mhz, the PI-400, PI-4B run at 1.5Ghz, if there a comparison o be made, I need the Q68 at 1.5Ghz.... maybe impossible.
Pi-400 runs at 1.8GHz thanks to extended heatsink.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I think the PI-400 purchase may of been a mistake, I should of stuck with the Core-i5 PC running a better form of Linux, at high speeds.
Given current prices on Ebay you might get back more than you paid :)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

ones' complement wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:But it is not a fair comparison, as the Q68 is running at 40Mhz, the PI-400, PI-4B run at 1.5Ghz, if there a comparison o be made, I need the Q68 at 1.5Ghz.... maybe impossible.
Pi-400 runs at 1.8GHz thanks to extended heatsink.
Derek_Stewart wrote:I think the PI-400 purchase may of been a mistake, I should of stuck with the Core-i5 PC running a better form of Linux, at high speeds.
Given current prices on Ebay you might get back more than you paid :)
The cost was below ebay prices...

Even at 1.8Ghz, still slow with the Raspios

So maybe a camdidate for RISCOS or Amiga...

Regards,

Derek
Exile
ROM Dongle

Post by Exile »

I think sQLux on a Pi4 runs at around 100 to 120 times the speed of a BBQL.

However, I was disappointed when I first got a Pi4, as it felt very laggy. Then I added an SSD, instead of the SD-Card, and the difference was massive. It is now fast enough for me to happily use it as a desk top, even when developing in Visual Studio Code. I'm currently testing out some sQLux additions, and checking that they run on the PI3 and the PI4. The difference between my Pi4 with an SSD and my PI3 with an SD-Card is huge.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

What sort of SSD do you use.

Regards,

Derek