OqtaDrive

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
xelalex
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: OqtaDrive

Post by xelalex »

Popopo wrote:...in Spain last month 20 of us did a bunch and we are pretty happy with it. My colleagues are pretty happy, now inmerse in some projects for QL too.
Great to hear! If you have any problems with OqtaDrive, don't hesitate to start a discussion or open an issue over at the OqtaDrive home at GitHub. The discussions section is also a good space for discussing new features and the overall direction the project could be taking.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Andrew wrote:I anyone selling fully built Oqtadrives?
It seems that derek_steward could.
In other case depending on your country and people interested on one could plan a bunch of 5 or 10 to share costs.
It is what we do in our forum usually. We collect people interested about one project, and someone (volunteer) deal with the PCB and parts, buying it, and ... usually sell the item on kits or sometimes soldered (of course then a little higher price) but not too much,
For example... in the last one it cost us 10€ - 13€ with shipping cost included (but not Rasbpi that cost about 6€ ordering to France), also some of us printed cases for it. So how you can see the goal is to enjoy open projects and collaborate or develop but not to do bussiness. I think you could do the same with a bunch of people interested about the same.
2022-02-02_15-18.png
I am new in this kind of forums, don't know if it is also usual in UK or not.
If you are from UE countries it is better to keep an eye on Spanish retro forums, not only for developing projects but also because we use to share costs of making devices already designed.

In case some people here are interested about it, I would not mind to help with the experience in this bunch. only in case the main goal is not to do business.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

xelalex wrote:
Popopo wrote:...in Spain last month 20 of us did a bunch and we are pretty happy with it. My colleagues are pretty happy, now inmerse in some projects for QL too.
Great to hear! If you have any problems with OqtaDrive, don't hesitate to start a discussion or open an issue over at the OqtaDrive home at GitHub. The discussions section is also a good space for discussing new features and the overall direction the project could be taking.
Of course, thank you xelaxex, ASAP I get free from my main tasks I would love to collaborate with your project in any side you would need or I could try to develop using your project (mainly the rasbpi as a new features) once I get more experienced on QL Systems.
You cannot imagine how much useful is your project for our community. Thanks

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Popopo wrote:
In other case depending on your country and people interested on one could plan a bunch of 5 or 10 to share costs.
Unfortunately this is not an option for me, as I am the only one using a QL in my country :)
So I was looking for someone who sells the built drive or at least the kit, preferably EU based.
Buying something from UK nowadays is time consuming and transport is expensive (and unfortunatelly only tracked courier is delivered, untracked can take months or would not be delivered at all)

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Andrew wrote:
Popopo wrote:
Unfortunately this is not an option for me, as I am the only one using a QL in my country :)
So I was looking for someone who sells the built drive or at least the kit, preferably EU based.
Buying something from UK nowadays is time consuming and transport is expensive (and unfortunatelly only tracked courier is delivered, untracked can take months or would not be delivered at all)
Well, if UE doesn't ban us, Spain still remains in UE :D :D :D
I don't know any shop that serves it, but maybe the designer, Tom Dalby could tell you a place where to order it, contact him.
If there is not any other way, PM me, maybe if there are people enough interested about it, could do another bunch.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had 10 Oqtadrive PCBs made, suitable for a Pi Zero (2) W, but it seems that there is a shortage of Pi Zero 2 W.

I have to order the other parts, icluding an Arduino mini.

I also need to get some cases printed, or use a ZX Microdrive case. ​

But I live in the UK, so by the above disussion, could exclude me from sending to an EU country, even though I have many years experience of shipping computer equipment around the world.

Iusually use UPS or UK Post Office.

UPS is expensive, but fully tracked.

UK Post Office is a limited tracking solution, but not as good as UPS.

So maybe I make an Oqtadrive for myself?

Regards,

Derek
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

One option is to send the Oqtadrive minimun system (without RasbPi, Arduino neither case). Those 3 components could be bought in EU cheaper. And Write in the letter some beautiful words and heart draws of love. Maybe with that not VATs or TAXES will be charge. And if they are... will not be so much.

I think you are his best bet Derek S.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Popopo wrote:One option is to send the Oqtadrive minimun system (without RasbPi, Arduino neither case). Those 3 components could be bought in EU cheaper. And Write in the letter some beautiful words and heart draws of love. Maybe with that not VATs or TAXES will be charge. And if they are... will not be so much.

I think you are his best bet Derek S.
Hi,

I consider your advice, I do not think you get the Arduino and PiZero any less expensive, but the problem eith supplying the base PCB relies on the ability of the user to programme the Arduino and Pi which is easy by the way.

I would arrange that no VAT or EU Tax is paid. I think the EU is rich enough.

Regards,

Derek
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I consider your advice, I do not think you get the Arduino and PiZero any less expensive, but the problem eith supplying the base PCB relies on the ability of the user to programme the Arduino and Pi which is easy by the way.
I would arrange that no VAT or EU Tax is paid. I think the EU is rich enough.
Hi Derek :)
Well... Arduino nano 5€ (shipping and taxes included)
About the RasbPi cero w, I got it for 10€ taxes & shipping inc.

So you are right, prices are pretty similar. And the service you add is a worthy value, to do not need to deal with set up components and so on has a extra value.

EU is rich ... Southern/Eastern countries not so rich. At least not everyone can.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Popopo,

I have read the Oqtadrive threads on va-de-retro.com, looks like you had a quite a bit of success with the Oqtadrive.

I have downloded the PI SD Card image file and translated the text file to English.

I only got 10 v1.2 PCBs made, the difference being the motor noise emulstion and the LED is dual colour.

This means a ZX Microdrive could be used or an updated Oqtadrive case.

The Raspberry Pi Zero W has been replaced by the Pi Zero 2 W, which is only available 1 per customer and sells out quickly.

But the Oqtadrive can work without the Pi accessing the SF Card via the USB connection.

So maybe I make the PCBs up, or supply componet kits, with the option to supply the Arduino. The Pi Zero 2 W is a user upgrade.

I can get more PCBs made if the demand requires.

Regards,

Derek