No votes
Never Used It!
20%

Total votes: 10

XorA
Site Admin

Re: New Online Chat

Post by XorA »

No idea, must have triggered some form of autoban as I got back on this morning. Maybe chatting to Dave is banned or something ;-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Nuh huh!

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

I would find it helpful, if people who are absent for long periods of time, leave the chatroom.

Whenever I entered the chat in the last months, there always seemed at least 3 people there, but I never got any reply.

If someone comes for a chat, he/she does not like to talk to a wall. If there is just an empty room, it would be nice to see that, so one can leave instead of waiting in vain for a reply.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Hi Peter, that is just not how IRC normally works.

Also a lot of the time you come on the channel I am actually there but it takes me more than 60s to respond as I am working in other windows.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I have the same problem. I am there and can respond. I check the window every few minutes. I often see that you or someone else has logged on, said hello, then left all within one minute.

What follows is over the following 2-10 minutes the two or three of us go "damn, missed him!"

Also, I can't speak for others' clients, but if you say my handle name in the room, it will make my window beep to alert me you're calling me.

Dave

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

XorA wrote:Hi Peter, that is just not how IRC normally works.
I know nothing about IRC conventions in general, and use no IRC client.

I naively saw this as QL chat room offered by this Forum to communicate in real time. In the early days immediate response was just how it worked. Just like real life, I enter a room, say hello to the persons and get into a talk - or leave if the room is empty.

I had no idea I would get a response after 10 minutes. Watching the screen (possibly in vain) for 10 minutes does not seem a good option for me. And if I only check every 10 minutes myself, then it would end up in a re-response after 20 minutes and so on...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Often now, I make an announcement on here, or sometimes Dilwyn does etc to say there will be an organised chat at a certain time :) I am usually on most nights but I only join with the forum based browser so I'm either on or not. But I still might be getting my tea, working on something or tanking.

Most nights there has been some response, usually between 7pm and 10pm gmt. I think originally years ago people used bots and dedicated irc programs to keep their place in a channel. Hence people logging in with their "slot". Sometimes I say hello and nothing happens for half an hour or so :)

To be fair the last week has been pretty busy most nights :)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I never know what to say on the chat forums...

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

it just takes a few minutes to start talking. Once someone realizes there's someone to talk to, their focus generally moves to that window and stays there. The conversation is then quite natural.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Don't forget peeps, the chat is still being manned most nights, if not all. People on from 8pm GMT tonight!