QL Commercial Software Preservation

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QL Commercial Software Preservation

Post by dilwyn »

swensont wrote:I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a large number of copies of IQLR (International QL Report) that I am in the process of scanning. I plan on scanning some other US Sinclair publications, like Time Designs, Update, and various newsletters.
I also have most if not all of the IQLR magazines (at least since it became "International"), so if you are missing any, let me know.

vanpeebles has kindly scanned QL Adventurer's Forum for me, but I need to reduce the file sizes and assemble the individual pages into a combined PDF. We have permission to make those available. I also have QL Technical Review magazines, but unscanned as yet.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Ralf R. wrote: From Ultrasoft (Martin Berndt) I can supply:
  • QLone+, fast MDV copy program, incl. copying protected MDVs
    QKick (maybe not compatible with PE, works as a task, disabling interrupts but can access nearly every FLP or MDV, even if corrupt)
    DiskTool (PE program)
    Perfect Pointer Tools (PE programs á la QPac 2)
    Card (written by Harald Wilhelm, a card file database program, released as "QFlick" from DP)
    Toolkit 3
The main problem: Although Martin has given permission to me to release the programs as freeware (to be honest: "Do what you ever want with it" :D ), a few of them were sold to Digital Precision (except QLone+ and QKick)

So it would be wise, to get in touch with Freddy to get permission to release these programs.
I have now been in touch with Freddy Vaccha - and basically where he has the rights to any software still, he states:
As long as the software release is only as "freeware" (such term having its usual meaning nowadays), and properly attributes the software (in terms of its author(s) and "Digital Precision Ltd" as publisher), I have no objections to such release.
He also notes that
in some cases the original author's (or authors') permission will (also?) be needed. I can't provide this, except for software of which I am the sole author.
So now we need to work out who all the authors were for the Digital Precision products - I know Chas Dillon, Simon Goodwin released their software as public domain and Martin Berndt (as above) has given his permission, so that is at least some products ticked off the list.

I will start a new thread for Digital Precision

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

I was wondering if you had the "Computer One" editor, assembler, linker suite.

If you don't I have a copy I can get off floppy and send to you. I'm not sure how you'd find the authors though.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

We have preserved v2.00 of C1 Assembler and v1.04 of the monitor program.

The monitor is said to be by T. Cheal - no idea who that was, or who wrote the C1 Assembler.

Wonder whatever happened to Computer One?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:We have preserved v2.00 of C1 Assembler and v1.04 of the monitor program.

The monitor is said to be by T. Cheal - no idea who that was, or who wrote the C1 Assembler.

Tony Cheal was author of some of the Computer One software products.

Someone on this Forum (I think it might have been Sparrowhawk) got permission from him to release those programs. The following are on my website:

Computer One monitor v2.00 (on Assembler page)
Computer One Pascal (on Languages page)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dilwyn wrote:
RWAP wrote:We have preserved v2.00 of C1 Assembler and v1.04 of the monitor program.
Tony Cheal was author of some of the Computer One software products.
Someone on this Forum (I think it might have been Sparrowhawk) got permission from him to release those programs. The following are on my website:
Computer One monitor v2.00 (on Assembler page)
Computer One Pascal (on Languages page)
I forgot to mention that Computer One stopped advertising its QL software some time in early 1986, and they were sold by Compware later that year.
If you are in contact with Mark Hughes of Compware these days it might be possible to get some of the background from him.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

What's about the range of games and programs written by Jochen Merz? There is so much he has written that would be nice to make available to all.
  • Hot Install - his first PE program. Select a printer_dat for the Psion programs
    QWriter - User defined fonts on Epson compatible printers with own RAM
    Pointers and Writers Toolkit - Little Toolkit to use Windowing from the Pointer I/F and to use QWriter fonts on screen
And of course the whole range of Games, like
  • Firebirds
    Double ION & ION Gold
and lots more.

As far as I remember, Jochen does not have any of the manuals of his old programs, but a few are available elsewhere in the WWW.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Please remember that Jochen continues as a trader supporting the QL and most of his software is still commercially available - see http://smsq.j-m-s.com/ for example.

Not everything is listed on that site - and the copyright position with regards ABC Elekronik still needs to be resolved - I have approached Andreas Bubbe, but apart from one message, he has not got back to me any further...

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

RWAP wrote:Please remember that Jochen continues as a trader supporting the QL and most of his software is still commercially available - see http://smsq.j-m-s.com/ for example.
I know, but the mentioned ones are very old, I do not think, Jochen sells them anymore an the games (I think) do not run on platforms with different screens. So there could be a chance. I do not even think, he has the sources anymore. I have written to Jochen to think about that. I think, there are a few things more.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I know the preservation team have been a little quiet over the past few days, but we have been busy in the background.

Rather than complaining about missing software or information, bear in mind that 90% of the preservation project (and the QL Wiki) has been done by me alone to date - this has now increased to 3 people getting software onto the shared folder and testing it, plus a further person working on databases to make it clearer what is missing.

However, we still need more willing hands even if it's just to go through old QL-User / QL-World magazines and add details about software and hardware to the QL Wiki, including review dates and original prices.

We can soon help to show you what to do, and if English is not your first language - don't worry! There are other ways you can help, such as trying to find people / companies / software in other countries outside of the UK !!

*** COME ON AND GET INVOLVED ***