A small QL

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: A small QL

Post by Pr0f »

dilwyn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:32 pmWow!
I remember being slightly "gob smacked" when Wolfgang showed me this at the 40th celebration, wired up to mouse, keyboard and monitor and working! Although it is an interface to the Black box QL, it is fully capable of running autonomously as a complete computer.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Post by Peter » Wed May 29, 2024 10:24 pm
Back on topic: Probably the smallest cased QL compatible at the moment
I thought that the QIMSI Gold needed to be plugged into a QL to work, but you show it as a stand alone computer. Is it really the case that
it can be used without the QL, as mentioned by PrOF?

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Tinyfpga wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:53 pm I thought that the QIMSI Gold needed to be plugged into a QL to work, but you show it as a stand alone computer. Is it really the case that
it can be used without the QL, as mentioned by PrOF?
The FPGA inside QIMSI Gold is in fact running a Q68, so it can be used as standalone computer, but of course it needs a power supply. If not connected to the QL, it can be powered from a 5V micro-USB adapter through the mouse port.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Tinyfpga wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:53 pm Is it really the case that it can be used without the QL, as mentioned by PrOF?
Yes, but I do not promote it. Because 80% of my work went into the QL specific connectivity and features. ;)
janbredenbeek wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:36 pm If not connected to the QL, it can be powered from a 5V micro-USB adapter through the mouse port.
I used the 3 pin I/O connector on the right side and wired it to a USB-C power supply socket.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

Can the QL Rom Port lines used for interfacing?

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:18 pm Can the QL Rom Port lines used for interfacing?
Interface to what?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:02 pm
Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:18 pm Can the QL Rom Port lines used for interfacing?
Interface to what?
HI Peter,

I thought if the QIMSI Gold is stadalone, the ROM port connections could provide some sort of expansion port.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:15 am I thought if the QIMSI Gold is stadalone, the ROM port connections could provide some sort of expansion port.
FPGAs can be changed, but at the moment it is a QL bus. What kind of expansion are you referring to?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:31 am
Derek_Stewart wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:15 am I thought if the QIMSI Gold is stadalone, the ROM port connections could provide some sort of expansion port.
FPGAs can be changed, but at the moment it is a QL bus. What kind of expansion are you referring to?
A while ago, there was talk of an Ethernet interface for the QL. Which connected to the QL expansion port.

Maybe a Q68 style Ethernet port could connected.

Or maybe a I/O Port.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:42 pm A while ago, there was talk of an Ethernet interface for the QL. Which connected to the QL expansion port.
You mean QIMSI attached to the QL ROM port, while an Ethernet interface is connected to the QL expansion port?
Derek_Stewart wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:42 pm Maybe a Q68 style Ethernet port could connected.
Or do you mean an Ethernet port connected directly to QIMSI, not using the QL?