Sinclair QL + QSound demo

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
spkr
Brittle Membrane

Sinclair QL + QSound demo

Post by spkr »

Hi there guys,

we have finished and released our latest Sinclair QL demo, which was a while in the making... It requires Stock QL (JSRom), 128kb memory and benefits from using a QSound expansion.

You can find the demo here: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=97019 (also contains a Youtube, but demo is better enjoyed on real hardware).

It was targetted to use MDV, so on any other storage medium YMMV.

It wont run on minerva.

Kind regards,
WIetze

chriskgnr
Brittle Membrane

Re: Sinclair QL + QSound demo

Post by chriskgnr »

Wow, impressive!

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

spkr wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:18 am Hi there guys,

we have finished and released our latest Sinclair QL demo, which was a while in the making... It requires Stock QL (JSRom), 128kb memory and benefits from using a QSound expansion.
Wow, really impressive! Parts of your demo make me dream on how could Elite would have looked on QL!

ones' complement
Trump Card

Post by ones' complement »

"It requires Stock QL"

OK, I'll bite. WTF is a ql68k.mdv file? 170.8kb :? :? :?

I've used a QL since it they first came out, never known such a file - it ain't stock AFAIK. Or is it meant for an emulator ? How would such be transferred and used on a real QL?

spkr
Brittle Membrane

Post by spkr »

ones' complement wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:07 pm "It requires Stock QL"

OK, I'll bite. WTF is a ql68k.mdv file? 170.8kb :? :? :?

I've used a QL since it they first came out, never known such a file - it ain't stock AFAIK. Or is it meant for an emulator ? How would such be transferred and used on a real QL?
I wasn't taunting. I honestly expected this would be a default file for you guys. The Mdv is a microdrive image which I expected you could use to get the files from

But you make it seem like this is difficult. So I'll link you the seperate files in a zip file and you can use whatever is convenient for you to transfer it to your machine.

Kind regards
Wietze

spkr
Brittle Membrane

Post by spkr »

ones' complement
Trump Card

Post by ones' complement »

Thank you, I can make sense out of that unwrapped version :)

(The only emulator I use is SMSQmulator)

aalea
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by aalea »

ones' complement wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:07 pm OK, I'll bite. WTF is a ql68k.mdv file? 170.8kb :? :? :?

How would such be transferred and used on a real QL?
Is a image of a microdrive, like a .iso file is a image of a CDROM, there are several, this is a Qlay microdrive image, some emulators can load it.

I have a "hardware microdrive emulator" to load this file in real machine, (there is at least oqtadrv and micropicodrive, and probably others).

Also there is a mdidriver in the utility section of dilwyn page that allow to mount this image as a microdrive from floppy or other media, and then you can copy to a real microdrive.

This also work with emulators that do not support microdrive, like SQLUX.

chriskgnr
Brittle Membrane

Post by chriskgnr »

Tested on a 128KB QL with Qsound card.
Most impressive!

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

aalea wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:16 pm Also there is a mdidriver in the utility section of dilwyn page that allow to mount this image as a microdrive from floppy or other media, and then you can copy to a real microdrive.
Just a small note. The Qlay image would need to be converted to an MDI image first. There are commands in the MDI driver to do this for you.