Anouncement for the 40th Anniversary of the Sinclair QL in Dormagen (Germany)

A place to discuss general QL issues.
polka
Trump Card

Re: Anouncement for the 40th Anniversary of the Sinclair QL in Dormagen (Germany)

Post by polka »

Me too, I am sad having missed this year and hope for the next meeting. My car is repaired.
BYE

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Anouncement for the 40th Anniversary of the Sinclair QL in Dormagen (Germany)

Post by pjw »

Ive been travelling since our QL_ist_40 meeting in Germany in May, so havent had the peace to wave to attendees and thank them/you for the good company and the interesting time we had.

Special thanks to Detlef for arranging it, though I suspect it became a bigger event than he had originally bargained for! Further more, in no particular ranking order: thanks to Peter for his interesting talk, his help upgrading my Q68, and all his hard work keeping the QL relevant. Thanks to Nasta for explaining some stuff to me, thanks to Urs for his interesting history lesson, thanks to Wolf for his help with my systems and all his hard work on the software side of things. My thanks and appreciation to everyone else for interesting conversations, inspiration, and, and ..

We should do this more often! Not necessarily in Dormagen, but in various central locations to give different people a chance to attend. Local user groups have more or less evaporated, so wide area or "international" meets are the only way for a number of people to meet in the flesh. QL Forum is a great stop-gap, way better than nothing, but there nothing like meeting the real people behind the usernames and avatars.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

pjw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:47 pm We should do this more often!
Yes, and we could repeat the meeting next year. My impression is that it will not turn out much smaller.
pjw wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:47 pm Not necessarily in Dormagen, but in various central locations to give different people a chance to attend.
With varying locations you always need someone else to step forward and actually do the job.
The danger of this approach is to remain vague, and in the end there will be no meeting at all.
Detlef has already offered to organize the same meeting next year. I'm very much for thankfully accepting this.
Never change a working system! ;)

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

I was thinking: In addition to, not instead of!

Time and expense are two limiting factors, so the nearer and more frequent the greater chance one has of being able to attend. Perhaps.

I wonder how many people would turn up for an event in UK, or Spain, Italy, North America..?

But in no way do I wish to detract from the excellent meeting we had!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?