A small QL

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
qbits
Trump Card

Re: A small QL

Post by qbits »

Hi Derek
I reviewing my options in think of purchasing a Q68. Forgive my ignorance as I haven’t read all of the posts on the Q68, but if I connect via the Ethernet port to a home router is there a QL font end ie. Browser for Internet Access or is setting up a basic TCP TRANSFER for Data the only option.

QBITS

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Qbits,

The Q68 has a 10BaseT Ethernet Port, running at 10Mbs, the Q68 Ethernet driver, written by Martin Head, that gives basic TCP/IP access, which connected to the local router and allocates IP addresses from the DHCP server.

The Q68 can connect to a QL Network to other QL machines, like QPC2, SMSQmualtor

There are not any QL based graphical browsers available, there is a text based browser: Lynx, which does work QL Emulators, bu no graphics, Javascript, HTML 5. So this may fail on the current web sites.

There are implementations of a TFT server, so probably TCP data exchange could work, though I have not tried this,which would appear to one of the things on my TODO list.

The Q68 gives a very fast hardware solution to a Next Generation QL and is compatible with BBQL software, and runs on the same operating system as QPC2, SMSQmualtor, has a Minerva implementation, which work well.

Regards,

Derek
swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

I've tested Lynx with SMSQmulator to connect to Dilwyn's page and download QL zip files. QLirc should work with the Q68 to connect to the QL Forum (and other IRC's). It would be nice if someone with a Q68 could test QLirc.

Tim

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

swensont wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:27 am I've tested Lynx with SMSQmulator to connect to Dilwyn's page and download QL zip files. QLirc should work with the Q68 to connect to the QL Forum (and other IRC's). It would be nice if someone with a Q68 could test QLirc.

Tim
Hi Tim,

QLirc well hidden on QL Homepage.

Where is dowload link for QLirc?

Regards,

Derek
NL_QL_Usr
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by NL_QL_Usr »

Testing as we speak

On a Q68

Chatting from Germany

It works Great!!! :D

NL_QL_Usr
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by NL_QL_Usr »

I did notice loading qonet_qonet_bin before loading other extensions it lockes up.
in a different order ethernet driver last it is OK.

in my boot:

PRINT "Load ethernet <y>"
IF INKEY$(-1)="y"
LRESPR win1_qonet_qonet_bin
rr=FETH_INIT
ETH_SETIP
ETH_IPCONFIG
ENDIF

then simple run Tim's Qlirc

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:25 am
swensont wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:27 am I've tested Lynx with SMSQmulator to connect to Dilwyn's page and download QL zip files. QLirc should work with the Q68 to connect to the QL Forum (and other IRC's). It would be nice if someone with a Q68 could test QLirc.

Tim
Hi Tim,

QLirc well hidden on QL Homepage.

Where is dowload link for QLirc?
Sorry Derek, it never got put on my site as I considered it incomplete. As it was developed from Tim Swenson's original demo, I handed my code over to him as I was struggling for time to take it further.

Will see if I can gather together the files as they stand and post it somewhere on my site soon.

EDIT: now available from https://dilwyn.qlforum.co.uk/internet/index.html in the "Internet And Email" section top of the page. v1.99.9 is an almost complete but working version, although you should read section 8 of the manual QLirc2_doc for details of limitations. If you can't get the compiled QLirc_obj to work, try running the QLirc_bas version. The compiled version has had less testing I'm afraid.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Back on topic: Probably the smallest cased QL compatible at the moment
wolf_gehaeuse.jpg
56 x 38 mm

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Wow!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:24 pm Back on topic: Probably the smallest cased QL compatible at the moment
wolf_gehaeuse.jpg
56 x 38 mm
Looks great, I can get excellent SLA 3D Prints in Resin, very smooth surface, see my posts on QIMSI case: viewtopic.php?p=53386#p53386

Regards,

Derek