QIMSI

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QIMSI

Post by Peter »

tofro wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:14 am Indeed. I have been using that one for a long time, until I moved all my QLs to SMSQ/E. It basically behaves the same as the history device in the newer OS (some marginal differences that you need to get used to). Recommended.
These are indeed "must haves" for non-SMS systems, as long as there is no better alternative. Each version showed it's own (but different) instabilities versus other extensions and software. I have gone through great pains seeking a non-crashing start order, and can not even use the same version on different hardware platforms.
Wiring such an extension is probably a difficult task without integration with a specific OS, like in SMSQ/E.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QIMSI

Post by tofro »

Peter wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:46 am
tofro wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:14 am Indeed. I have been using that one for a long time, until I moved all my QLs to SMSQ/E. It basically behaves the same as the history device in the newer OS (some marginal differences that you need to get used to). Recommended.
These are indeed "must haves" for non-SMS systems, as long as there is no better alternative. Each version showed it's own (but different) instabilities versus other extensions and software. I have gone through great pains seeking a non-crashing start order, and can not even use the same version on different hardware platforms.
Wiring such an extension is probably a difficult task without integration with a specific OS, like in SMSQ/E.
Well, the main collision point is with PE, because both history and PE need to mess with the con_ driver (and both don't completely replace it, but rather partially call into the original driver vectors. Up to here, things are relatively straightforward. Once you add stuff like PIE and PEX, however, which also fiddle with con_ everything is becoming a complete mess....

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
ql_freak
Gold Card

Re: QIMSI (EDIT: Correcture)

Post by ql_freak »

ql_freak wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 am
Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:30 am Alos look at PTH, which is a Path search extension, all very flexible.
This is IMHO the BEST file utility ever. It's one of the first things I install. Would be a good improvement for QPC2. HISTORY-Device (first implemented by Boris Jakubith, Berlin), Named Pipes (first implementation I know of: Erling Jacobsen) and other goodies, are gracefully already inbuilt.

But Phil has had released three "file drivers", you named SUB, but there is a third one from Phil Borman.
I am very sorry! I've made a mistake :‑( The PTH device is of course from Phil Borman. I confused this with the HISTORY device, which is now integrated in QPC2 (SMS/Q). However, the original History device has a few more options than the one in QPC2.

Can the HISTORY device from Boris also be used with QPC2? In principle it should be possible, but you may have to write a program that links out the history driver from QPC2 and links in the one from Boris.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

ql_freak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am Can the HISTORY device from Boris also be used with QPC2? In principle it should be possible, but you may have to write a program that links out the history driver from QPC2 and links in the one from Boris.
Well, you can do a lot of things - But why would you want to do that? SMSQ/E has a perfectly working History device, I fail to see the point of removing it.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

ql_freak wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am Can the HISTORY device from Boris also be used with QPC2? In principle it should be possible, but you may have to write a program that links out the history driver from QPC2 and links in the one from Boris.
Normal convention is that any LRESPR'd keyword will overwrite existing keywords with the same name. This automatically switches off any QPC2 routines in favour of the new ones.
The thing to look out for is the syntax: different, missing or too many parameters may give unexpected results.
I cannot comment on the HISTORY stuff because I have not used it so far.

BSJR

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

BSJR wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am I cannot comment on the HISTORY stuff because I have not used it so far.
I tend to object, you certainly have. The history device is the thing that allows you to do command line recall and editing with the cursor keys. Apart from that, it has indeed not much use as a device.