QL2VGA on American hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Storycrafter
ROM Dongle

QL2VGA on American hardware

Post by Storycrafter »

I have a few JS(U?) ROM American QLs. At some point they all worked with my little black QL monitor (or for my childhood QL on my TV back in the day) -- all NTSC. Today, they are now in various states of working but that is a separate issue.

Does anyone have experience with using SGC or Minerva ROM on the American motherboards and the QL2VGA adapter? My impression is that the JSU ROM will not work. My plan is to get the SGC I recently picked up working and put Minerva ROMS and internal 512K expansions on the others.

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Re: QL2VGA on American hardware

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

I have a QL2VGA on order that should arrive in a week or so. I plan to test it on one of my QL with JSU rom. I will post here the results.

François

Storycrafter
ROM Dongle

Post by Storycrafter »

FrancoisLanciault wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:49 am I have a QL2VGA on order that should arrive in a week or so. I plan to test it on one of my QL with JSU rom. I will post here the results.
How did this work out for you?

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Storycrafter wrote: How did this work out for you?
It works very well, with a good image quality.

However, I am not sure my QL with JSU still have the video chip (ZX8301) that was installed originally in this north america QL, as I did many modification over the years. The one installed right now it a CLA2310.

Another thing to check is the crystal speed because, yes, I did change that over the years… I will check tonight.

François