New microdrive internal replacement

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
drgusman
ROM Dongle

Re: New microdrive internal replacement

Post by drgusman »

jobdone wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:58 pm Thanks, that answers most of my questions. I believe they are Qlay based images. I'm still interested in if the magic number copy protection works as Xora added the ability to change the magic number when creating Qlay images.
Oh, you mean the media identifier? Hmmm, so it is used by programs to identify an original copy... interesting, I will add it to the microdrive tools :D

Cheers!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

So cool! :)

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Amazing job!
Thank you!!!!

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I have a question on this - I see in the photograph that the PICO only seems to be needed on one of the MDV replacement boards - yet you show the cartridge device in the one that's not populated with the pico - does it support having 2 'drives' from the one PICO?

If so - how is this wired - do both MDV boards need to be tied to the QL MDV connectors - as for the most part these are the same signals.

I read your wiki and hardware notes - but it's not clear how the 2 boards are wired and whether 2 'cartridges' are supported at the same time...

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Pr0f wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:46 am I have a question on this - I see in the photograph that the PICO only seems to be needed on one of the MDV replacement boards - yet you show the cartridge device in the one that's not populated with the pico - does it support having 2 'drives' from the one PICO?

If so - how is this wired - do both MDV boards need to be tied to the QL MDV connectors - as for the most part these are the same signals.

I read your wiki and hardware notes - but it's not clear how the 2 boards are wired and whether 2 'cartridges' are supported at the same time...
The other one is solder on bottom of the PCB, just for trying if I am not wrong.
Pay attention that pads are soldered, that means there is something behind.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Unless it was "solder blobbed" in readiness, but never fitted with a pico, as it sits flush on the board, not with through pins.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

@drgusman, I'd like to get your MDTools and their TUI up and running in Linux - however I've not done any C# or .NET in ... nearly 20 years I think, and then only in Windows.

Can anybody point me to the best way to install mono (ie which packages i need to install using apt) and then how to create an executable?
Or has anyone has created an x64 Linux executable that they would be willing to share?

Thanks.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

To install mino on a Debian system like Ubuntu/ Mint, type:

sudo apt install mono-complete

Regards,

Derek
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

great, simple enough :) I missed the mono-complete one when I listed all mono packages, of which there are a lot. That makes life easier.

Thanks, Derek

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

Pr0f wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:56 pm Unless it was "solder blobbed" in readiness, but never fitted with a pico, as it sits flush on the board, not with through pins.
I don't understand why not.
It may be soldered like piggy-back.

Be aware fellows... :) there is a new cartridge version.
I guess Dr. Gusman is going (if not already) update his repository with new Gerbers files.

Modifications comes with:
+Improvements fitting screws
+Cartridges has some ergonomic changes to do it easier to insert or extract.

Image Image

Some advises based on my recent experience with it...
1. uSD module use 2mm pitch, so ... one options is to use leads from resistors to put them through holes and solder them.
2. SMD switches legs could be a little short (all mine are too shorts) so to use the listed on his BOM could be a great idea.

About other components... I got some sellers that sell them (From China) by lots and they are cheaper, but need to check out if they work, so not posted here.

Few things more... I am thinking about to some personal change (I asked to the author permission for it and it was granted):
+The module mSD by just the mSD slot what is a lot cheaper. Why? because if you are able to solder those small resistors and capacitors... How can not you solder a mSD slot too?
+The DC-DC converter... perhaps I will change to another place or put elements in the main board in order to integrate everything on it.
++Same goes about TH Leds. Just... in case I get the time to do it... I would use 1206 format. There is enough space for all that and for me it is easier.

That's all.