Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Thanks Derek for making it available.
(Firefox 114.0.1 on macOS 12, no issues)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Thanks for the verification.

I uploaded the SD Image here just so updates were easier.

Also, something to be aware of, if you download a Q68 SMSQ/E update from the SMSQ/E web site, you will have to configured the Config blocks with menuconfig, as the defaults are not correct to run on a standard Q68.

The Q68_SMSQ.WIN file can be mounted in an emulator and the menuconfig program run to configure the Q68 to boot from a valid QWA container, like QLWA.WIN

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Martin_Head wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am Thanks for checking it. Must be something weird about the PC I was using, (Anti virus/Firewall?) Or the ISP I was using.

Firefox/Edge seemed to have a problem working out the size of the download, as it did not show an estimated download time. And when it failed, it world not resume, just start from the beginning again.

I will try again with another PC
Just tried it again with a different PC and different ISP. Same results.

I managed to get it to download with an external download manager. But when I checked the zip file with 7Zip it reports a problem

I tried downloading it again, and got the same results
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martin,

I fired up my Windows 10 pro PC, downloaded the image file with 7ZIP and the tested the integrity to be OK.

I have uploaded the image file to my Mega account:

https://mega.nz/file/cT40mY6S#4na6PWVXO ... K-65bz82aU

Try downloading there, the file transfer is faster than the QL Forum.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:06 pm Hi Martin,

I fired up my Windows 10 pro PC, downloaded the image file with 7ZIP and the tested the integrity to be OK.

Thanks, I will give that a try. But it might not be until some time next week.

RichardCGH
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by RichardCGH »

Q68 noob problem

Is there a way to get the Q68 screen to sit in the middle of the physical monitor screen ?

I tried the various boot options but I get a wide black strip on the left of the screen and some stuff appears to disappear off the right side.
Also the height of the Q68 screen is greater than the screen res of the monitor, so a menu at the top of the screen is not fully displayed and some stuff may be off the screen at the bottom as well.

Now this a way to set the monitor screen res at the monitor end . It defaults to 1680 x 1050 but that may have been changed in the past.
I'm unable to change the monitor screen size as it can only be done using a remote control and the monitor is 15 years old and the RC disappeared a long time ago.
(why dont they say which device remote controls belong to ?)

I can buy a new monitor - what res and ports would be optimal for the Q68 ?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

It sounds like your monitor needs a reset to defaults. Most monitors have buttons on the top, sides or back to control the monitor settings.

The Q68 connected to a 19" TV with VGA input reports the loader screen to have a video signal of 1024x768 @ 60Hz

I have connected the Q68 to 55", 70" LCD TVs with VGA input, all seem to give a full screen output. See other messgaes in the Forum for pictures.

I have also coonected a Q68 through a VGA to HDMI converter to a HDMI Input monitor.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Belkin PS/2 Splitter I supply, I have only 4 left, from the original supplier, who had a large batch and does not have any more. New Belkin PS/2 Splitter Cables are retailing at over £10, if you can find them.
Belkin PS2 Splitter.jpg

I have an alternative, Splitter Cable which from Aliexpress. But this requires 2 wires on the Mouse connection to changed, there might be a little evident of external insulation repair with shrink wrap fitted, or new Female PS/2 Connector fitted. This retails at £4.50
PS2 Y Splitter.png

The other alternative is a Grey Splitter cable that work perfectly, this could be painted black, but retails at: £3.50
PS2_Splitter.jpg

Would a Grey Splitter cables be OK?

Or a no supply of the PS/2 Splitter cable.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:06 pm Hi Martin,

Just tried the download. Worked OK without problems, and 7Zip reports it's OK. Not tried putting it on a SD card yet.

RichardCGH
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by RichardCGH »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:21 pm Hi,

It sounds like your monitor needs a reset to defaults. Most monitors have buttons on the top, sides or back to control the monitor settings.

The Q68 connected to a 19" TV with VGA input reports the loader screen to have a video signal of 1024x768 @ 60Hz

I have connected the Q68 to 55", 70" LCD TVs with VGA input, all seem to give a full screen output. See other messgaes in the Forum for pictures.

I have also coonected a Q68 through a VGA to HDMI converter to a HDMI Input monitor.
Thanks for this.
I located a lump on the side of the monitor screen labelled "Menu" but navigating the menu proved impossible without the remote control.

So I've ordered a Philips 27" monitor (with speakers) that has VGA/hdmi connectivity.
Hopefully that'll solve the problem