Q68 support thread

The Thor, Aurora, Q40, Q60 & Q68 etc. are discussed here.
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Joystick Ports Missing

Post by Peter »

ql_freak wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 amWould it be possible to add (configure/DIY) Ql-compatible joystick-ports to the Q68? These are just some lines and columns of the keyboard matrix (I know, as I have had built my full keyboard myself - 100% compatible!).l.
The "QLbase" board can be used to translate the QL matrix keyboard to the PS/2 input of the Q68. It also has a ribbon cable connector for the original QL Joystick (9 pin SubD) and a few other goodies which support mounting a Q68 (or Qzero) inside a QL case. "QLbase" is not released yet, mainly for lack of documentation and the relatively high build effort. But if you are okay tinkering with a poorly documented piece of hardware, please feel free to PM me.
qlbase5.jpg

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

Peter wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:35 pm But if you are okay tinkering with a poorly documented piece of hardware, please feel free to PM me.
qlbase5.jpg
Thanks Peter for the offer. But my hardware skills are now very limited and (more important) I don't currently have the time. I not even have the time to explore my two Q68. I've just bought them, as they – much thanks to Derek – are now available. I'm currently refreshing my C++ skills (C++ 11 and above). Perhaps I can combine this with QDOS development. Unfortunately it seems the GNU cross compiler for the QL doesn't support C++ (I assume because of a missing C++ standard library). Fred Toussi used C++ with a cross compiler to write Text87. Does anyone know, if this C++ cross compiler (or at least the C++ library he has had been using) is available?

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

ql_freak wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:53 pm Unfortunately it seems the GNU cross compiler for the QL doesn't support C++
That is correct. And in general, no C++ compiler for the QL is available, be it native or cross-platform.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 support thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There has bern a bug in Q68 SMSQ/E, in the FAT_DRIVE command, which was not mapping the FAT device to the correct FAT16 partition.

Thanks to thd excellent work of Wolfgang Lenerz, the FAT_DRIVE command now works correctly.

Please find the updated version of SMSQ/E v3.38
Q68_SMSQ.WIN.zip
SMSQ/E v3.38 update
(205.05 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

To install this update, uncompress the file in the zip file: Q68_SMSQ..WIN, insert the Q68 SD Card in a PC or MAC and copy the the file Q68_SMSQ.WIN to the FAT32 partition of the Q68 SD Card. Which will overwrite the existing Q68_SMSQ.WIN

Alternatively, mount the Q68_SMSQ.WIN on the SD Card and the update to a WIN drive in SMSQmualtor or QPC2 and copy the update files. This avoids defragmentation of the FAT32 Partition.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

Here is a 4Gb SD Card Image of the Q68 Distribution with the updated SMSQ/E v3.38
Q68_2023-06-11.img.zip
Q68 SD Card Image: 11/06/2023
(404.77 MiB) Downloaded 103 times

Just unzip the file and restore the image to an SDHC Card of 4Gb or greater.

The image will create 1 FAT32 partition and 1 FAT16 partition.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I've just been trying to download the above SD card image. But it fails about half way through.

I've tried it in Firefox and Edge. Can someone check that the file is OK.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Martin_Head wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:26 am I've just been trying to download the above SD card image. But it fails about half way through.

I've tried it in Firefox and Edge. Can someone check that the file is OK.
Downloaded now (11:34am) and all ok. Using Chrome on Macbook
Fabrizio

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tired downloading with:

Linux: Google Chrome, Brave-Browser, FireFox
Windows 10 Pro: Edge, Google Chrome, FireFox

All downloaded OK.

Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Thanks for checking it. Must be something weird about the PC I was using, (Anti virus/Firewall?) Or the ISP I was using.

Firefox/Edge seemed to have a problem working out the size of the download, as it did not show an estimated download time. And when it failed, it world not resume, just start from the beginning again.

I will try again with another PC

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

It took a couple of goes for me to download it too (Edge/Win10), but it worked in the end.