Gold card weird action

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Traindriver69
Chuggy Microdrive

Gold card weird action

Post by Traindriver69 »

Hi all
I have been running a ql with a trump card but fancied a gold card so I have just brought another ql that came with a gold card now the weird bit if it is plugged into the ql it came with it boots up then get the screen with press f1 or f2 but if I plug it into my ql it boots up then straight into the split screen as if I had pressed f1 but did not but with the trump card it will ask me f1 or f2.
anyone have any idea why it is doing this.
Many Thanks

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Gold card weird action

Post by Pr0f »

What ROM was in the QL you bought and what ROM is in your QL ?

Traindriver69
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Traindriver69 »

mine has AH roms and the gold card one has JM roms.

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

On Super Gold and Gold card there is a facility to auto boot using keywords AUTO_TK2F1 and AUTO_TK2F2 (boot with TK2 active and simulate pressing F1 or F2). The setting is stored in spare bits in battery backed RTC chip. You can disable action using AUTO_DIS.

Perhaps the transit to other QL corrupted RTC bits (or borderline battery) ? I would try entering in AUTO_DIS and pressing reset to see if it stops auto boot.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

ones' complement wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:36 pm On Super Gold and Gold card there is a facility to auto boot using keywords AUTO_TK2F1 and AUTO_TK2F2 (boot with TK2 active and simulate pressing F1 or F2). The setting is stored in spare bits in battery backed RTC chip. You can disable action using AUTO_DIS.

Perhaps the transit to other QL corrupted RTC bits (or borderline battery) ? I would try entering in AUTO_DIS and pressing reset to see if it stops auto boot.
You beat me to it - yes, AUTO_DIS is probably the required fix...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

And upgrade those AH ROMs! Not fit for use!

Traindriver69
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Traindriver69 »

Hi
Tried the reset and it works if I press the reset and boots up giving the F1 and F2 options put if I unplug the QL and boot it back up it goes back to autoboot but it does not do it in the original QL so could it be the version of rom in my machine.
Many Thanks

ones' complement
Over Heated PSU

Post by ones' complement »

Try powering it up whilst holding reset, then release a few moments later. Perhaps reset capacitor is poor https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4080