Q68 screen dumps

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: Q68 screen dumps

Post by Martin_Head »

RalfR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:50 pm
BSJR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:12 pmTo get this to a PC image I take a PrintScr from my QPC2 window, then clean that up and convert to BMP or PNG etc. under W$.
I think, he want to do it native on Q68.
What it is, is that I am trying to write a small Q68 specific easyPTR4 program. And It would be nice if I could easily grab a few screen shots in different Q68 screen modes. Then do an instruction sheet/manual as a PDF. It's not essential, The program does not really need much in the line of instructions.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Martin_Head wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:31 am
RalfR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:50 pm
BSJR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:12 pmTo get this to a PC image I take a PrintScr from my QPC2 window, then clean that up and convert to BMP or PNG etc. under W$.
I think, he want to do it native on Q68.
What it is, is that I am trying to write a small Q68 specific easyPTR4 program. And It would be nice if I could easily grab a few screen shots in different Q68 screen modes. Then do an instruction sheet/manual as a PDF. It's not essential, The program does not really need much in the line of instructions.
On the basis of EP4 examples you posted here earlier I don't think the standard QL 4:3 pixel ratio is an issue here.
Converting it to a PDF needs W$/Linux anyway so some QPC2 or SMSQmulator help should not be a problem.

If pixel ratio is important SQRview can help too. There is an option to stretch or shrink the image in the window.
It's not ideal, some horizontal lines stay one pixel, some will double in height when stretched.
To soften the effect you can use the Photon Toolkit to SCALE the PIC 2x before using the stretch option.

BSJR

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

BSJR wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:02 pmIf pixel ratio is important SQRview can help too. There is an option to stretch or shrink the image in the window.
It's not ideal, some horizontal lines stay one pixel, some will double in height when stretched.
To soften the effect you can use the Photon Toolkit to SCALE the PIC 2x before using the stretch option.
I think Chr$ has found a clever way with this problem, as the QL screen dumps on his site look very good and are 4:3.

4E75 7000
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

RalfR wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:23 pm
BSJR wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:02 pmIf pixel ratio is important SQRview can help too. There is an option to stretch or shrink the image in the window.
I think Chr$ has found a clever way with this problem, as the QL screen dumps on his site look very good and are 4:3.
Any screenmode Q68 has has an integer expansion to 1024x768 to make it 4:3 (makes writing an emulator easy) :-D

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

XorA wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:50 pm Any screenmode Q68 has has an integer expansion to 1024x768 to make it 4:3 (makes writing an emulator easy) :-D
Yes, it's true for Q68 in any of the 512x256 or 1024x512 screens. But when this screen is saved and converted to a PDF compatible format it will be 2:1 again with square pixels. Apart from stretching, taking a photograph from the monitor is the only way to keep the 4:3 ratio.

BSJR

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

BSJR wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:12 pm
Martin_Head wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:41 am Thanks for that. I have downloaded BMP and Screen snatcher 4. And I will have a play with them when I can get around to it.
The current BMP version 1.03 has a bug making the program freeze when trying to convert to .bmp.
Hence the upcoming upgrade. The previous v1.02 will work okay.
Another way, to snatch a standard mode 4 screen, may be the Qdesign tool Qsnap.
I don't know if the refurbished version can do bigger screens.
Once the PIC has been saved it can be viewed in BMP or SQRview. To get this to a PC image I take a PrintScr from my QPC2 window, then clean that up and convert to BMP or PNG etc. under W$.

BSJR
I got around to trying to snatch screens on the Q68. I've tried using BMP v1.02 (I think it's v1.02a), But it seems to hang when trying to convert to BMP.
It does not look as if it even tries to open the destination file. How long should the conversion take? I am Snatching the screens in the Q68 Display Mode 5, which is generating 786442 byte _pic files.

In BMP I can 'View' the _pic files OK. So I think I may take a Windows screen dump of this.

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Martin_Head wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 am I got around to trying to snatch screens on the Q68. I've tried using BMP v1.02 (I think it's v1.02a), But it seems to hang when trying to convert to BMP.
It does not look as if it even tries to open the destination file. How long should the conversion take? I am Snatching the screens in the Q68 Display Mode 5, which is generating 786442 byte _pic files.

In BMP I can 'View' the _pic files OK. So I think I may take a Windows screen dump of this.
Strange. There was a bug introduced in the current BMP v1.03 that freezes the QL-to-BMP process but v1.02 should be OK.
A new v1.05 is currently undergoing some final testing that fixes this.
Several builts of v1.02 still live on my hard drives so maybe the bug was already introduced in a later build.
Below a version that works on my Q68, only a few seconds for a 600x400 PIC 33 to BMP 24 conversion.

BSJR
BMP102.zip
(45.94 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

BSJR wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 am
Martin_Head wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 am I got around to trying to snatch screens on the Q68. I've tried using BMP v1.02 (I think it's v1.02a), But it seems to hang when trying to convert to BMP.

Strange. There was a bug introduced in the current BMP v1.03 that freezes the QL-to-BMP process but v1.02 should be OK.
A new v1.05 is currently undergoing some final testing that fixes this.
Several builts of v1.02 still live on my hard drives so maybe the bug was already introduced in a later build.
Below a version that works on my Q68, only a few seconds for a 600x400 PIC 33 to BMP 24 conversion.

BSJR

BMP102.zip
I tried this version yesterday in QPC2, And it also seems to hang like the others. The other v1.02 I have, has a file name of BMP102e_zip

Here is a sample of the PIC files I have made, which I am having the problem with. Can you try them on your system.

I can 'view' the file in BMP. But when I try the 'QL to BMP', I can select the file, then start the conversion. The pointer changes to show it's busy, And that's about all that seems to happen. I can CTRL-C out, and look in the destination for the BMP. But there is no bit map file created. It does not seem to effect the rest of the system, and I cal kill the BMP job.
sample.zip
(75.51 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Martin_Head wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:00 am
I tried this version yesterday in QPC2, And it also seems to hang like the others. The other v1.02 I have, has a file name of BMP102e_zip

Here is a sample of the PIC files I have made, which I am having the problem with. Can you try them on your system.

I can 'view' the file in BMP. But when I try the 'QL to BMP', I can select the file, then start the conversion. The pointer changes to show it's busy, And that's about all that seems to happen. I can CTRL-C out, and look in the destination for the BMP. But there is no bit map file created. It does not seem to effect the rest of the system, and I cal kill the BMP job.
OK. I tried the old v1.02 under QPC2 again and found it locks up here too.
The reason might be that your Qlib_run or _sys are now for the recent v3.45 while this BMP was done with v3.36, as was the test on the Q68 earlier. Qlib_bin & _ext are linked into the _obj so should not be a factor.
Other than that more testing needs to be done why this is not working anymore.

Meanwhile your samples provided images for my v1.05 beta test, which worked as expected, creating BMP 16bit copies.
I
TestBMPsample.zip
(96.14 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

BSJR wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 am The reason might be that your Qlib_run or _sys are now for the recent v3.45 while this BMP was done with v3.36, as was the test on the Q68 earlier. Qlib_bin & _ext are linked into the _obj so should not be a factor.
Other than that more testing needs to be done why this is not working anymore.
I was wondering if it might be something to do with the Qlib runtimes. As I have recently rebuilt my WIN1_'s, and I am almost certain that I have used the latest Qlib runtimes.