New Forum

A place to discuss general QL issues.
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: New Forum

Post by robheaton »

Derek_Stewart wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:06 am Hi,

Sorry to complain about this more, but the Private Message, Find Member screen, is causing problems, the text is off black on white background, with the border of the text boxes in white.

I can not enter the correct data to perform the search.
With a little help from the peeps on discord, this has been fixed now too.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

robheaton wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:45 pmCan you try this test again please?
The cpu load has disappeared. :) You can use the CPU monitor to see the difference. On Suse Linux I just press CTRL & ESC to pop it up. Previously your site used +25% continuously now it is down to flashing between 6% and nothing when in focus like other sites using the same forum software. Well done. You won't find out if people are happy with the site but silence of complaints is a good indicator. :lol: Keep up the good work.

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

robheaton wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:45 pmCan you try this test again please?
Oh dear! it seems the cpu usage is still high on the board index page but not the thread of this message or the Edit Post creation pages. It is still sitting at 25%+ on the board index page and it can hit 40% by moving the mouse particularly over underlined objects. On the plus side because the cpu is not stressed on other pages the white flash is very short on page switching. Far easier to do software on the QL where everything is under your control rather than add layers to crap layered GByte modern software I think.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Woohoo, Christmas themed banner!!!

I've been seeing this on the English Amiga Board:

eab_xmas_2014.gif
eab_xmas_2014.gif (361.29 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

Not that I go there or anything [cough] I must have accidentally hit that page or something.

P.S. the "Place inline" feature on the forum is very hard to see on an attached file.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:15 am Woohoo, Christmas themed banner!!!
As nice as the banner looks, I'd be very glad if it was removed, as long as the vertical space problem with the new layout can not be resolved!
At the moment, only 6 cm of 29 cm vertical Browser window space are displaying the actually contents of a post, before needing to scroll. (Firefox, 27 inch monitor)
And about 40% of the lost vertical browser space is the banner area including its border!
The usability of the forum has become a pain, and there could at least be a little relief by this simple change.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:16 am
And attaching those attachments showed up another issue, that the text on the attachment options strip ("Place Inline" etc) in unreadable, light grey and pale green on white. Even worse, it vanishes completely as you hover over them.
ppe has worked some wizardry and this is fixed now!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

By the way, I see 4 cm of vertical space wasted between topic and posts for a red "Forum rules" banner plus border space. Is that a bug or a feature?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Can you post some screenshots of both issues please? :)

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I think this is what Peter was referring to. It doesn't appear everywhere (though I think it used to) and now only appears within each topic thread:

ForumRules.png
Last edited by bwinkel67 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Btw...each refinement is improving the experience, so thank you all for your hard work!