Hello from Ukraine

Introduce yourself here!
Abadonna
ROM Dongle

Hello from Ukraine

Post by Abadonna »

Hi there,

I am from Ukraine and was born in USSR, behind the "Iron Curtain". At a young age I did not have opportunity to use home computers, because they were expensive for my family and even more - home computers, like Sinclair, Commodore, Atari & etc, were not sold in our country. Now I have a hobby - retro computers, mostly at 80's, to which I did not have access as a child. I am satisfied to work with this part of computer history, as computer technology and programming has become not only my hobby but also became my profession.

Some more than one month ago I bought a Sinclair QL computer on eBay, serial number prefix is D13. It was a complete set, except QL User guide, in condition "like new", even the smell of a new computer is present there and I am happy with it! I only had to buy a QL User guide and replace the keyboard membrane (thanks RWAP Software), because the old one was destroyed by time reason. And now all is ok, even both microdrives in working order!

Now I plan to study QL Super BASIC, because I interested in different dialects of BASIC on the old platforms and also I want to study some hardware aspects of this computer, like QL network protocol and possibility to create some simple adaptor for communication between QL and smartphone. All of it just for fun.

Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair QL, Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2, Atari 130XE, Commodore 64C, Yamaha YIS503IIIR MSX2 & etc
Abadonna
ROM Dongle

Re: Hello from Ukraine

Post by Abadonna »

And also let me note, that for me it is very pleasure and symbolic to own a computer, which was the first computer of Linus Torvalds. This is part of our life and our history.

Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair QL, Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2, Atari 130XE, Commodore 64C, Yamaha YIS503IIIR MSX2 & etc
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Добро пожаловать! Welcome to the forum! I guess you're the first one from Ukraine. I'm from Romania - and probably the only one in my country to still play with the QL :)
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abadonna
ROM Dongle

Post by Abadonna »

Andrew wrote:I guess you're the first one from Ukraine. I'm from Romania - and probably the only one in my country to still play with te QL :)
I don't know anyone else in Ukraine who uses QL. We have some ZX Spectrum community, because at the end of 80s a ZX Spectrum clones became popular in our region, but not QL - these are really rare computers for my country.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Welcome to the forum. You'll have fun here.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello! A warm welcome to the forum :)