Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
RichardCGH
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Re: Today I Received...

Post by RichardCGH »

OK this is a couple of days late, but I
have received a couple of small parcels with issues of QUANTA, QL Today and QL World (the Arcwind years)
I know they're on-line but I prefer hard copy.
Much of the content isn't that interesting to me - pages of assembler code, how to do various mathematical sums, expensive hardware add-ons etc.
But as a way of getting a handle of what was happening between 1993 -2017 they're invaluable.

Rather sad to see QL World reporting on me closing my business down, but I had no other option.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Only about a month after sending it out my Computing History Museum order finally arrived... I've had packages from China that were a lot faster, but welcome to the shit-show called Brexit. The package contains both a sticker that I have to pay VAT again (after already paying VAT in England) and that the courier can just hand me the package without paying :?: I've got no idea what's going on and probably they don't have any either.
ComputingHistory_Ware.jpg
ComputingHistory_Customs.jpg

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mug looks good, Marcel! At least you got your goods in the end.

I ordered a new mobile phone from Motorola's UK agent on 27th December, it was supposedly sent out on 29th December and tracking data stopped on 13th January. Buggers didn't tell me it was coming from The Netherlands. They are supposedly investigating but not exactly being helpful.

What I did receive this morning was one of the trees in the back garden of the derelict house next door (the house where my neighbour died in a fire in 2018). It blew down in today's storm onto my extension without causing much damage to the extension other than guttering, but fell off onto my fence, demolishing it. Being a boundary fence, insurance won't cover it and his family have long since stopped replying to messages.

2021 really shit for me so far.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

dilwyn wrote:Mug looks good, Marcel! At least you got your goods in the end.

I ordered a new mobile phone from Motorola's UK agent on 27th December, it was supposedly sent out on 29th December and tracking data stopped on 13th January. Buggers didn't tell me it was coming from The Netherlands. They are supposedly investigating but not exactly being helpful.

What I did receive this morning was one of the trees in the back garden of the derelict house next door (the house where my neighbour died in a fire in 2018). It blew down in today's storm onto my extension without causing much damage to the extension other than guttering, but fell off onto my fence, demolishing it. Being a boundary fence, insurance won't cover it and his family have long since stopped replying to messages.

2021 really shit for me so far.
I wonder if you can get away with building the fence a few feet further into his property and if they fanny around for another 10 years it legally belongs to you :-D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote: I wonder if you can get away with building the fence a few feet further into his property and if they fanny around for another 10 years it legally belongs to you :-D
He he, don't tempt me. But even if I was tempted, it's so piled high with rubbish of one sort or another it wouldn't be physically possible.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

This arrived today:
pc-four-dos.jpg
Must. Stop. Looking. At. Ebay.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Today I received 10x Freescale 68VZ328 33MHz parts. They're interesting! Built in DRAM refresh manager, UARTs, SPI, RTC, and the funkytown chip select logic that can define areas of memory as 8- or 16-bit accessible. That chip select logic also allows programmed generation of DTACK.

They're for an SBC, but they're interesting devices in their own right. A bit like a primitive ARM SoC but with a 68000 core that has elements of configurable bus sizing like a pre-68020.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Sounds interesting Dave. Very, very interesting.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks. A little light bedtime reading....all 379 pages. :o

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.