Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Today I Received...

Post by NormanDunbar »

What flavour are they?
(Asking for a Korean friend!!!!)
Only kidding. (I have no friends!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

NormanDunbar wrote:What flavour are they?
(Asking for a Korean friend!!!!)
Bullmastiffs - english dogs, english computers :D
Well, I have a friend who beat up a chinese who wanted one of his pups because they were ... tender.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I like a good mastiff.
Couldn't eat a whole one though! ;)

Too big for us here though, we're looking (after many years) for a dog. Alison "wants" every single pup she sees. Currently anything with "poo" in its name. Sigh! I prefer a proper dog - Spanials, labs, Bernies etc - something of a decent size. (Bernies are "nice to have" but too big for the house, shame.)

Good luck with the pups.

Remember folks: A dog is not just for Christmas. With a bit of luck, there will be some left over for Boxing day! :D :D :D

Cheers,
Norm.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

NormanDunbar wrote:I like a good mastiff.
Couldn't eat a whole one though! ;)

Too big for us here though, we're looking (after many years) for a dog. Alison "wants" every single pup she sees. Currently anything with "poo" in its name. Sigh! I prefer a proper dog - Spanials, labs, Bernies etc - something of a decent size. (Bernies are "nice to have" but too big for the house, shame.)
Those with "poo" in the name are just very expensive mutts. It's much better to adopt a dog from the pound than to give your money to some puppy farm that has no regard for dog's health and well-being.
Bullmastiffs are much smaller than Bernies and not much bigger than labs (heavier, but not much taller) and make great apartment dogs. But it still is a 60 kg dog. I find them much easier to keep indoors than my cousin's 3 kg bichon, which is noisy and always on the move. I once had 6 bullmastiffs indoors and I almost could not feel them. Well, except when I wanted to sit on the sofa or in the armchair - and all seats were already taken.
If you want to get a dog, get a gundog. Some spaniel breed. Or a wirehair Dachshund from hunting bloodlines. But never get a "poo", or the trendy breeds like french bulldog or pug. Those have too many health issues.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I've had gundogs in the family all my life, English Springers. My late step father ran a shoot in Scotland for years. Always Springers.

I agree about the fashion for dogs, all those short faced Pugs/French Bulldogs make me weep with their problems. Don't get me started in bloody Poodle crosses. Or animal fashions.....I can rant for days on the matter. ;)

Good luck with the pups.

Cheers,
Norm.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

vanpeebles wrote:During the previous lockdown I got a JustSpeccy 128 off Rob (to go with my fleet of speccies) Anyway I've been collecting some war and strategy games to go with it. Ancient Battles is my favourite so far.

I also got a 6a speccy board, and a 48k+ case. I'm hoping to make a low power speccy with most of the chips replaced for modern ones. Currently desoldering all the ram chips ready for sockets.
I bought my first a Speccy on eBay during the summer...still haven't had time to get it booted up to see if it works and mod'ed (need to do composite to us in the US). But looking forward to my first Speccy experience :D

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

bwinkel67 wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:During the previous lockdown I got a JustSpeccy 128 off Rob (to go with my fleet of speccies) Anyway I've been collecting some war and strategy games to go with it. Ancient Battles is my favourite so far.

I also got a 6a speccy board, and a 48k+ case. I'm hoping to make a low power speccy with most of the chips replaced for modern ones. Currently desoldering all the ram chips ready for sockets.
I bought my first a Speccy on eBay during the summer...still haven't had time to get it booted up to see if it works and mod'ed (need to do composite to us in the US). But looking forward to my first Speccy experience :D
There is a nice HDMI interface available too!

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

Thank you very much RalfR to point in one of your post to PI 400 a new little computer (not a QL, but like the QL just hidden under its keyboard). It is based on the latest Raspberry PI model 4 (speed 1.8GHz - 4Gb ram).

I immediately ordered one and received it today (in only three days - but on the KUBII site, they say now that for the moment it is sold out and you may have to wait at least 4-5 weeks to get one).

I use it for sending this post. It is installed in front of my QL, and use for it the same small LCD screen (the QL on the SCART input and the PI 400 on HDMI - I can easily switch from one to the other).

I have to add that the QL may have shown a terrible fit of jealousy, because this afternoon he crashed horribly, what usually never happens.

Just have to install FORTH on the PI 400 and it will be perfect fun.

POLKa

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been playing around with RiscOS on PI3B, I am waiting on PI 400 to gave RiscOS compatibility, which I beleive us nearly there.

I ddo not use the PI with Linux, as it us a little slow compred to the Core i7 desktop computers I have running Debian 10, which us sort the same verdion of Linux on the PI.

What version of Forth are you using?

Regards,

Derek
polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

for the moment I did not install any. The most obvious would be Gforth, but I may also try AtLast.
To have RiscOS running on the PI400, wouldn't you only have to change the Linux µSD for RiscOS ?
I am also tempted with a baremetal Forth system, there seems to have one under development.

And about the speed of Linux on PI400, I find it rather snappy : indeed, it has a PI4 card running at 1.8Ghz. Before, I had a PI3 b like you, which was a little slower sometimes.

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa