QSound and QPrint Interface

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QSound and QPrint Interface

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have been using Ki-Cad to draw the schematic, which I have made the AY-3-8910 part for the schematic drawings.

The updated drawing from Silvester will help with finishing the schematic work.

I am more interested in repairing the PCB, but the person lent the board seems to ignore my messages asking if I can have board returned.

So I will finish the schematic based on information received and photographs.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
nikosdoykas
Over Heated PSU

Post by nikosdoykas »

if Silvester schematic is ok... then we have this...
qdoun schem.png
and this....
qsoud board.png

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi all,

I currently visit my parents and went to the loft. As expected I found my QSound QPrint board. I never used it and I have currently no QL system running. So I can not check whether its working. But I can help with all missing information. I did not read to all the thread but as I remember still missing:

1. Transistor is ITT 2222
2. capacitor close to 5v regulator is 10n

What information else do you need?

Best regards

Stephan

nikosdoykas
Over Heated PSU

Post by nikosdoykas »

yes.... and yes...
125348565_994645487697851_8212396334641875686_n.jpg

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

I see, no more information from my side needed :-) Will return it to the loft.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Added QSound emulation support so now it also plays on Marcel's new QPC2 v5.

Hope AY sounds clean on Windows, my machine (Linux + Wine, dual 2GHz) is a bit choppy. Even the QSound BELL sounds crackly, strange thing is if you pitch a tone register just right it produces a clean sound. I think it is something periodically upsetting emulation (hence certain harmonically related tones sound OK).

BTW If you unzip it in DOS just run:

10 a=ALCHP(14836)
20 LBYTES dos1_AYplayer,a
30 SEXEC_O dos1_AYplayer,a,14836,816
40 RECHP a

---
David
Attachments
AYplayer0v05.zip
(91.17 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

David
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Silvester wrote:Added QSound emulation support so now it also plays on Marcel's new QPC2 v5.
Cool. Sound on Windows is clean as a whistle. I've heard from one other user that AY emulation is choppy on Wine. Maybe it's because it's rendered at 44.1kHz while other sounds are done at 20kHz (SSSS) respectively 22.05kHz (BEEP). Might have a look one day but's quite frankly it's not terribly high on my priority list right now as AY is still pretty niche and it works fine on Windows.

Player is really nice, though I had no success playing YM files. Is there some documentation on the command line parameters or any keyboard shortcuts it accepts?

Cheers, Marcel

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

I have a few Windows programs that are quirky under Wine so I'll probabaly get a Windows laptop soon (last contribution to M$ was W95! in 1995).

It should play uncompressed YM files (LHA -lh5-), Archivers Control Panel can do it. I've got C code for LHA to translate to 68K version. I tried the YM file in QPCdemo but it has a problem in that 'END!' marker is not where it is expected, so I reject it (as I do with any other dubiuos files for saftey). If it is a common YM quirk then I'll accomodate it, but most uncompressed YM files I've encountered are OK.

The AYplayer_txt file lists command string options. If you spool to QSOUND device there is no status window, but otherwise it will open window and keys are also listed in AYplayer_txt.

David
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Silvester wrote:I have a few Windows programs that are quirky under Wine so I'll probabaly get a Windows laptop soon (last contribution to M$ was W95! in 1995).

It should play uncompressed YM files (LHA -lh5-), Archivers Control Panel can do it. I've got C code for LHA to translate to 68K version.
Ah, I see. All files I came across were compressed. My player has the decompression included, but it's written in C anyway, so much easier.
The AYplayer_txt file lists command string options. If you spool to QSOUND device there is no status window, but otherwise it will open window and keys are also listed in AYplayer_txt.
Ehm, wow, I see it now. I can only guess I deleted by accident most of the text in QD because last time I looked at the file those parts weren't there. Weird, sorry :shock:

One improvement I want to do to the QSOUND device is that it can handle interleaved data for Chip 1 and 2 so both can be streamed to at the same time.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is an error in the Qsound manual, Page 7, Sound example:

PLAY 1, 'pr15o4sCDEFGAHo5CDEFGAHp'

Should be:

PLAY 1, 'pv15o4sCDEFGAHo5CDEFGAHp'

Regards,

Derek