Hello from France

Introduce yourself here!
Patrick
ROM Dongle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Hello from France

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi,
I am Patrick from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
I just got today a shiny Sinclair QL and I registered to find more information about it.
After some readings, I think that it is safe to switch it on.
I will just check the PSU before.
A nice addition to my collection :D.
Regards,


Patrick
User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 2348
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: Hello from France

Postby vanpeebles » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:58 pm

A very warm welcome to the forum! When ever I plug in unknown computers for the first time, I make this face >_<


User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: Hello from France

Postby Chr$ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Patrick wrote:Hi,
I am Patrick from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
I just got today a shiny Sinclair QL and I registered to find more information about it.
After some readings, I think that it is safe to switch it on.
I will just check the PSU before.
A nice addition to my collection :D.
Regards,

Is it a French one, with AZERTY keyboard? Just out of interest. Not many of those about.


Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
User avatar
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Hello from France

Postby NormanDunbar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Hello, and welcome.

Hopefully you'l'l have fun here, and with the QL.


Cheers,
Norm.


Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-Softwa ... 1484257898, https://www.apress.com/gb/book/9781484257890
Patrick
ROM Dongle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Hello from France

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you for your welcome.
My QL is a QWERTY one.
The serial number is D09-022755 (I don't know if it is significant).
So yesterday, I checked the PSU, no problem, then I plugged the QL on my TV in UHF.
The orange LED light on and I search for a display. In automatic search, my TV found a good image, but didn't register it. In manual, impossible to have it.
So I quickly soldered a composite cable and I had the startup screen with press F1 or F2.
But no key is working. Known problem so I ordered today a new keyboard membrane and a SCART cable.
But I am very happy because it seems that the QL is working pretty well apart the keyboard.
Next thing will be to check the microdrive.
What is the best way to connect floppy/Gotek or SD, with may be a decent RAM/ROM extension?
Is it possible to buy these kind of interface? I looked at Sellmyretro and there is no hardware of this kind available.


Patrick
Patrick
ROM Dongle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Hello from France

Postby Patrick » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Ok. I found why the keyboard does not work: the membrane is missing :D
The problem is that the screws for the metal plate are also missing.
Do you know a source for replacement ?


Patrick
User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: Hello from France

Postby Chr$ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Patrick wrote:Thank you for your welcome.
My QL is a QWERTY one.
The serial number is D09-022755 (I don't know if it is significant).
So yesterday, I checked the PSU, no problem, then I plugged the QL on my TV in UHF.
The orange LED light on and I search for a display. In automatic search, my TV found a good image, but didn't register it. In manual, impossible to have it.
So I quickly soldered a composite cable and I had the startup screen with press F1 or F2.
But no key is working. Known problem so I ordered today a new keyboard membrane and a SCART cable.
But I am very happy because it seems that the QL is working pretty well apart the keyboard.
Next thing will be to check the microdrive.
What is the best way to connect floppy/Gotek or SD, with may be a decent RAM/ROM extension?
Is it possible to buy these kind of interface? I looked at Sellmyretro and there is no hardware of this kind available.

The seller of those devices (Tetroid) is currently having a break, mainly due to Covid I think and things were taking a while to arrive. He'll be back!

I may be able to find some suitable screws for you. I'll have a look tomorrow.


Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1917
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: Hello from France

Postby Derek_Stewart » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am

Patrick wrote:Ok. I found why the keyboard does not work: the membrane is missing :D
The problem is that the screws for the metal plate are also missing.
Do you know a source for replacement ?

Hi Patrick,

The keyboard membrane can be supplied from Sellmyretro:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/category/retro-computers/sinclair/sinclair-ql/components

I note there are a set of screws available.

Failing this I can supply the keyboard bottom plate and the correct chrome coloured securing screws for £5.00 plus postage

Note: the Aluminium Keyboard plate to secure the Keyboard Membrane to the keyboard, should be chrome screes, if there are Black screws, then these are the wrong screws. Black screws for the external part of the case.


Regards,

Derek
Patrick
ROM Dongle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Re: Hello from France

Postby Patrick » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi Chr$, Hi Derek,
The TDI seems to be a nice extension, exactly what I expected. I will watch Tetroid comeback on Sellmyretro.
The membrane is allready ordered with other stuff but this time from Retrocables in Spain.
I have the metal plate. Only the screws are missing.
For the case I need also one long and one medium screws but I have seen that a whole set can be ordered from various suppliers.
If one of you can supply the missing screws, It will be great!


Patrick
User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: Hello from France

Postby Chr$ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Patrick wrote:Hi Chr$, Hi Derek,
The TDI seems to be a nice extension, exactly what I expected. I will watch Tetroid comeback on Sellmyretro.
The membrane is allready ordered with other stuff but this time from Retrocables in Spain.
I have the metal plate. Only the screws are missing.
For the case I need also one long and one medium screws but I have seen that a whole set can be ordered from various suppliers.
If one of you can supply the missing screws, It will be great!

I can probably find the right screw size, but they won't be the correct silver coloured ones. Get them from Derek (perhaps he can also send you the missing case screws).


Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original BBQL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests