Qsquidge

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Qsquidge

Post by Chr$ »

This is a screenshot from Qsquidge, a game where you have to run around 3D rooms and pick up objects.
qsquidge.png
qsquidge.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
There is a SuperBasic version or a Super Charged version, both on the same cart. It originally came as Microdrive Exchange Software cart No. 43 from QL World. There is some corruption, but basically it works (the loading _scr and part of a Superbasic file have corruption so I rem'd out the line that loads the screen and it seems to work... and the Supercharged version isn't affected).

It's actually not that bad. I can find no indication of whether or not it was a freebie at the time. Authors were Alan Glassbrook and Ian Swinton (as you can see).

Can I make it available? Do you think anyone would mind? Or if anyone knows who Alan Glassbrook/Ian Swinton were and where they are now!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Qsquidge

Post by bwinkel67 »

Couldn't you recover the loading screen for the SuperBasic one from the SuperCharged version? Does it draw the same screen?

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

bwinkel67 wrote:Couldn't you recover the loading screen for the SuperBasic one from the SuperCharged version? Does it draw the same screen?
I think both *.bas and *.exe share the same screen file (if it is a 32k one).

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

HI,

Why not look at the scanned copy of QL World 1987 October:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/mags/qluserworl ... 201987.pdf

which is a Superbasic programme, the scanning is not very good, so it may have to be typed in.

This reminds me of another software project, to type in all the QL World Microdrive Exchange programmes.

Maybe get around to this in the future

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

bwinkel67 wrote:Couldn't you recover the loading screen for the SuperBasic one from the SuperCharged version? Does it draw the same screen?
They both share the same _scr file, but it's actually not that bad, it appears on screen with slight corruption, then crashes. I've already saved the screen with lbytes and will be able to fix it up.

And thanks Derek! I found the listing of it for £2 in the Microdrive Exchange section, but didn't see the SuperBasic listing. The corruption relates to the congratulations procedure, so was only relevant at the end. I'll fix it all up and share it.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I like it! This is the QL equivalent of welding up my old MGB :lol:

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

vanpeebles wrote:I like it! This is the QL equivalent of welding up my old MGB :lol:
Weld it up all you like, it'll still never be a Triumph ;)

(actually I never understood the MG/Triumph rivalry. They're all perfectly good British 1960/70s cars).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

If you look at QL World 1987 October, pages 48-51, the Superbasic listing is shown. The SCR file is probably saved afterwards, but is setup by the programme.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote:If you look at QL World 1987 October, pages 48-51, the Superbasic listing is shown. The SCR file is probably saved afterwards, but is setup by the programme.
All done. Retyped the corrupt program lines, retyped the corrupt _doc (from the info in QL Word - it was the same) and touched up and re-saved the _scr... not quite sure why the screen text says 'QCQUIDGE' as even in the corrupt version I don't think that C was ever supposed to be an S.
squidge60.png
As it was only sold for £2 at the time (so basically not-for-profit) and as I can't really see there being any commercial interest, here it is attached. A zipped (in windows) .mdv image and a qzip.
Attachments
QSQUIDGE MDV.zip
(25.4 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
qsquidge.zip
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 101 times