QL Video issue - Red color missing

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Video issue - Red color missing

Post by tofro »

Your picture quality is incredibly good considering you are using the modulator.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Protecting the 8301 ULA
Rather than just using 5.6V Zener diodes, adding some fast signal diodes can improve the protection. Use 1N4148 or similar. Connect a diode between 0V/GND and the signal pin, then another diode between the signal pin and the +5V power rail. Do this for all the signals that go to the RGB socket.

Code: Select all

A  K             A  K 
0V ----->|-------+------->|------- +5V
                 |
                 |
               Signal
               from
               ULA
               to
               RGB
               socket
You can of course retain the 5.6V Zener diodes.

The signal diodes will clamp any out of range voltage spikes within their current ratings.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Quickie
ROM Dongle

Post by Quickie »

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the provided information and suggested mods and improvements. This really increases my interest on the QL! :)
Unfortunately I am currently trying to fix a couple of Dragon32's and I would prefer repairing them before retaking on the QL (which I currently consider fixed, but misses the improvement) :)

Best regards!

tinman40
ROM Dongle

Post by tinman40 »

without a scope is there a way to check the 1377? my green is gone.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

It's not so easy without a scope, but the following *may* work.

The outputs from the 8301 ULA are TTL level, and go directly to the 8 pin Monitor connector on the back of the QL. If you display a white image which drives all three colour signals most of the time, you could check using a multimeter on 20V setting and DC input - you should see the same voltage on R G and B signals - if your green input is lower than the other 2 it does suggest a possibly defective 8301

Be careful not to short anything at the 8 pin connector - you could do more damage, also a good idea to earth yourself too, before doing the testing.

chriskgnr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by chriskgnr »

Dave wrote:Yes. Sometimes, shocks can travel from the unprotected RGB socket directly to the 8301 and blow an output.

5.6V zeners to ground from all five lines would be prudent, if you're comfortable to retrofit them.
wouldn't be better to use 5.1V zener diodes?

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

For static it makes little difference - as the voltages are that much higher, but the danger of a lower voltage zener is it starts to conduct a little before it's rated zener voltage

The idea is to try and prevent too much voltage at the chip pins to avoid the parasitic diodes / thyristors and goodness only know's what that will become apparent when the pin voltage is more than about 0.65 volts above VCC