QBOX BBS for TCP/IP released!

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

QBOX BBS for TCP/IP released!

Post by janbredenbeek »

On this (Quantum) Leap day, I proudly present the re-release of QBOX. And not just the version that's been laying around for years in scattered files on Dilwyn's site, but a complete ready-to-run WIN container that works over TCP/IP on QPC2, SMSQmulator and UQLX! It also contains the complete QL file archive of my BBS from 1987 to 2003, which is about 48MB.

You can find the complete repository (including source files) on GitHub: https://github.com/SinclairQL/QBOX . Just download the QBOXRUN.ZIP file, unzip it in the directory where your .WIN files reside, and make win8_ point to the QBOXRUN.WIN container. Enter EX win8_QBOX;'-D win8_' (or PROG_USE win8_ followed by EX QBOX) and then telnet to the machine where your BBS runs on port 5000.
N.B.: The default login and password are 'Sysop' and 'QBOX' ;)

Happy BBS'ing!

Jan

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Re: QBOX BBS for TCP/IP released!

Post by bixio60 »

Many thanks, this is a great news .
I am using Rshell with Wifi Box on Q60, and I will try Qbox today.

Many thanks again for your work .

Fabrizio
janbredenbeek wrote:On this (Quantum) Leap day, I proudly present the re-release of QBOX. And not just the version that's been laying around for years in scattered files on Dilwyn's site, but a complete ready-to-run WIN container that works over TCP/IP on QPC2, SMSQmulator and UQLX! It also contains the complete QL file archive of my BBS from 1987 to 2003, which is about 48MB.

You can find the complete repository (including source files) on GitHub: https://github.com/SinclairQL/QBOX . Just download the QBOXRUN.ZIP file, unzip it in the directory where your .WIN files reside, and make win8_ point to the QBOXRUN.WIN container. Enter EX win8_QBOX;'-D win8_' (or PROG_USE win8_ followed by EX QBOX) and then telnet to the machine where your BBS runs on port 5000.
N.B.: The default login and password are 'Sysop' and 'QBOX' ;)

Happy BBS'ing!

Jan

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Wow! Clearly a major opus. Obviously, itll take time to try out and explore, so I cant say more now although, from what Ive seen of your previous work, I wont be disappointed ;o)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Post by Artificer »

Janbredenbeek wrote
On this (Quantum) Leap day, I proudly present the re-release of QBOX
Fantastic, impressive work. Ran perfectly first time. Looking forward to exploring the BBS files.
bioxio60 wrote
Please let us know if QBOX works with Wifi Box. What is Wifi box and how is it linked to a Q60 - RS232? Thanks

Cheers

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

It works like a gem...(obviously)

My Q60 with Simulant Retro WiFi linked to ser1 connected with my Mac Book using SMSQmulator and Qbox BBS software installed.
Tomorrow I will try vice versa and use Q60 as BBS server instead of SMSQmulator

In case you need more details, just ask :D

I need to set up DNS and maybe someone could try to connect to my Q60 Qbox BBS Server :D

Fabrizio
Artificer wrote:
Janbredenbeek wrote
On this (Quantum) Leap day, I proudly present the re-release of QBOX
Fantastic, impressive work. Ran perfectly first time. Looking forward to exploring the BBS files.
bioxio60 wrote
Please let us know if QBOX works with Wifi Box. What is Wifi box and how is it linked to a Q60 - RS232? Thanks

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_20200229_215123_resized_20200229_100348968.jpg
IMG_20200229_215106_resized_20200229_100349175.jpg

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
I am testing the connection between my Q68 (using Simulant Retro Wifi) and a PC running QPC2 (under wine) and QBOX .

To do this I am using QLterm that it is limited to "old" speed capacity 300/600/1200 etc when I need to have 38400/57600 and 115200, I tried to amend the sbas prog QLtermconfig_bas but the results are ......odd. I get the speed of 9600 when QLterm indicate the speed of 1200 :)

How difficult is to update Qlterm to get higher speed?

Many thanks

Fabrizio

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

bixio60 wrote:Hi,
I am testing the connection between my Q68 (using Simulant Retro Wifi) and a PC running QPC2 (under wine) and QBOX .

To do this I am using QLterm that it is limited to "old" speed capacity 300/600/1200 etc when I need to have 38400/57600 and 115200, I tried to amend the sbas prog QLtermconfig_bas but the results are ......odd. I get the speed of 9600 when QLterm indicate the speed of 1200 :)

How difficult is to update Qlterm to get higher speed?
The biggest problem is updating the user interface since more baud rates wouldn't fit into the menu screen ;) Oh well, I could always remove the 1200/75 speeds since they won't be very useful these days (or introduce a 'use system rate' option).
But you can use a trick to bypass QLterm's baud setting. Just open a channel to a serial port and then execute QLterm with this channel as input. E.g.:

Code: Select all

OPEN#3,ser1
EX QLterm,#3
Alternatively, you can just EX QLterm, switch back to Basic and then issue a BAUD command to set the speed to the desired rate.

Yes I know Xmodem will be awkward to use but probably the only protocol that works without hardware flow control which the Q68 lacks. I couldn't QTPI file transfers to work on the Q68 due to a bug in the XPR library which causes a 'division by zero' exception (which QDOS/Minerva ignores but causes a lock-up under SMSQ/E).

Jan.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
sorry if this topic was discussed elsewhere, but, after I updated my Qbox Server system (Raspberry/SMSQmulator) with latest programs/os etc (SMSQ/E 3.38), Qbox refuse to start with the error "QBOX: wrong Clock setting" and cannot find why. this happen......either I cannot find any document that explain QBOX errors messages meaning....
Any help will be appreciated :)

Thanks
Fabrizio